Resto-Mod 1965

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

mitch0537

Resto-Mod 1965

Post by mitch0537 »

7144587.jpg
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C533348

Does anyone have any information on this '65 Bird? I'm looking to lighten a few pounds off of my '65.
dgalietti

Re: Resto-Mod 1965

Post by dgalietti »

No info on this car... but wow! a 5.0?! These cars are 4500+ pounds.. a 5.0 will barely move it.

Most of the weight savings you will be able to find are in the engine and trans.
Heads, intake, water pump, misc emissions stuff that you don't need.. cruise control removal if you have it and don't need.
The Cruise o matic is a decent trans, but it has a cast Iron case and is heavy. The C6 is lighter and has better parts availability.. but takes a bit of work to make it fit.
Aluminum radiator.
Update the AC to something newer and Lighter if you have AC.

I removed a MASSIVE amount of globbed on seam sealer from all over the car.. as well as tons of heavy insulation. I don't know how much it weighed.. but it was a lot. The stuff I got I think was from thermotec. It's much thinner and lighter, but protects against noise and heat.

switch anything you have that is power to manual.. Power anything was very heavy back in the day.

There should be some weight savings in the wheels if you still have steel with hubcaps.

rear fender skirts.

I am considering leaving off all of the metal fender liner stuff that was up front... I haven't decided yet. I may weigh it first and then decide.

other than that.. I think the biggest weight saving could be had in the bumpers and brackets. They weigh a ton. I like the original look, so I've leaving mine alone.
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

That's sort of a cross between a 63 2 door Fairlane and a Tbird. It would be interesting to see the Engine Bay mods, but it looks like he has been inundated with other people looking to do the same thing. The front bumper and brackets way a ton. Just weighed a couple of the brackets the other day and they weigh 9 pounds each.
mitch0537

Post by mitch0537 »

I already did C6, aluminum heads, water pump, radiator, aluminum intake, headers. Now I want to replace the front seats with ones from a 2002-2005. These front seats are heavy. The front bumper has enough steel to make an entire Miata.