New Radiator!

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

wallyblackburn

New Radiator!

Post by wallyblackburn »

Got this off of Amazon for $137 shipped! I am amazed at how good it looks. Since I am putting on an electric fan I won't be using the shroud and will fab some brackets. But, I was also impressed with how well the mounting holes line up.
Attachments
IMG_4385.JPG
RedBird64

Re: New Radiator!

Post by RedBird64 »

Nice. I look forward to hearing how it works out!
Have you picked out an electric fan yet?

S
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
wallyblackburn

Post by wallyblackburn »

I decided not to skimp on the fan. Got a Flex-a-lite Syclone 398. Read a lot of bad things about the knockoffs when it came to fans...
dgalietti

Post by dgalietti »

If anyone is curious, I got one of these too. The taurus 3.8 fans that people use for everything fit on this very well. I haven't decided how I'm going to mount it yet..
This fan pulls a lot of amps, but blows well over 3000 cfm.

For wiring I'm using a volvo fan controller(built in relays) controlled by the Sniper EFI. Also a popular modification you can find all over the place.

pics attached
Attachments
0522202152_HDR.jpg
fan relays.jpg
dgalietti

Post by dgalietti »

That was a big whoops... I started putting this all together, and I must have measured something wrong.... because this fan is too thick. It hit the water pump pulley no matter what you do.

I measured several times now with the engine in and ordered a derale 16822. It is a 2 speed 17" fan with a shroud that should fit this radiator perfectly.

I will update when installed.
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Could you have taken the fan off and turned the blades around to face the other way and used it to push air into the radiator from the front?
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Stubbie, no matter which way a fan is mounted, the fan blades will not change the direction of flow. If a fan which turns clockwise and pushes air will again ONLY push air in a clockwise rotation, if you simply just flip the fan around There is directionality in a fixed pitch fan, using the same motor rotation, whether mounted forwards or backwards.
The only way is to change the blade pitch, by changing the actual fan assembly.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
dgalietti

Post by dgalietti »

Fans are also much more efficient as pullers than pushers. Since it is my primary fan, I need it to be as efficient as possible.

I opened another thread on the fan I ended up using.
Privateer

Post by Privateer »

I also tried to use my Taurus fan and Mark VIII fan with no luck as they are too thick. I even tried the Volvo electric fan with and without the shroud and it's still too thick. I ended up with a Flex-A-Lite Low Boy 16" rated at 2500 cfm and 18 amps. It works okay, though I will probably end up making a shroud for it for piece of mind on those 100 degree days with the A/C on ( I also have a pusher fan on the condenser which comes on with the compressor clutch). Be nice to know if someone has found a factory electric fan (2 speed would be a plus) which would fit and function well.
dgalietti

Post by dgalietti »

I don't think we are going to find a factory electric fan that is that thin and moves a lot of air.

See my other thread. The Derale fan is 2 speed and comes with a shroud.