Replacing MC on a 66 with a dual bowl

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

wallyblackburn

Re: Replacing MC on a 66 with a dual bowl

Post by wallyblackburn »

Is there such a thing as an elbow for brake lines? I’m thinking maybe not because the male part might not seat on the flare at the point where the other end is in the right position- if that makes sense. I find them with a NPT on the male end, but I’m not sure that would seal to the MC connection which appears to be flare. Hope this makes sense
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

I remember looking for something similar and not being able to find it, probably for the reason you site. :sad:
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

On the master I used "Banjo fittings" on my 57. No problem.
IMG_3988.JPG
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Very cool Joe. Does the banjo fitting itself seal against the face of the MC housing or does it seal to the inverted flare part (if that makes sense)?
Got a source?

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

There is a copper washer on each side of the "Banjo" which makes the seal. The fittings and copper washers are standard brake parts readily available.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
wallyblackburn

Post by wallyblackburn »

Definitely keeping the banjo bolt idea in the back of my mind. But, I was able to get this one bent using this little gem from the Chinese Junk Palace:

https://www.harborfreight.com/tube-bend ... 95782.html

Hard to see from this angle, but I have a good 1/4" or more between the line and the shock tower.

IMG_4360.JPG
IMG_4361.JPG
Think I'll try again and make it a little "prettier"...and also get a nut for the MC end that isn't green!

Thanks for the guidance guys!
Wally
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Stubbie, I didn't think that AN was the same as SAE inverted flare - or is it? I thought that even though they're both 37 degree's, they're different threads (2A vs 3A).

Something like this (if not this exact size fitting) seems like a good fit. Just have to bend the stock line a bit and connect it: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-r4051c/overview/

Scott
wallyblackburn

Post by wallyblackburn »

I believe AN is 37 degrees and SAE is 45...
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

AN and SAE are not the same. Wally is correct, the angles are different.

SAE = Society of Automotive Engineers

AN = Army / Navy (designed for WWII aircraft)
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
Richard

Post by Richard »

On the subject, to remove the part of the brace that is attached to the shock tower will it just come off removing the nuts from the top or do I have to also get underneath to remove? The hack who installed my dual master cut away to much and want to replace it.. He cut away back to far and only have one nut and bolt holding cowl brace..He also hacked the brace to the cowl but I since have got a new one and did a nice neat cut...Thanks..
1965 Hardtop Charcoal Gray Metallic
VTCI#12157
wallyblackburn

Post by wallyblackburn »

Those 3 "bolts" should actually be press-in studs, so no need to get underneath. But on my '65, you wouldn't need to take that Guide Plate off - the brace bolts to the guide plate...

I'd like to see a pic of your modified brace!

Wally
Richard

Post by Richard »

wallyblackburn wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:27 am Those 3 "bolts" should actually be press-in studs, so no need to get underneath. But on my '65, you wouldn't need to take that Guide Plate off - the brace bolts to the guide plate...

I'd like to see a pic of your modified brace!

Wally
I guess I was not clear, the hack who installed my master cut to far on the Guide Plate and want to replace that..He cut past the first hole so now only have 1 bolt holding the Guide Plate to the Cowl/Shock tower Brace and there is room for both holes and bolts .Seeing yours I may have to have a piece welded on ,for yours is a lot nicer ..Will get a picture when I get back..Thanks for the reply..
1965 Hardtop Charcoal Gray Metallic
VTCI#12157
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

My mistake. i should read things proper. Brake fitting are always a mystery to me. :???:
wallyblackburn

Post by wallyblackburn »

Just for grins, I hooked a vacuum pump up to my power brake booster...

Even pumping furiously, the needle never even moved :( - this thing is obviously shot. I've never really done much with these - can they be DIY rebuilt? I see O'Reilly has a rebuilt one for just shy of $150...wow! Saw some of the other threads talking about a universal one - anybody have any luck there? I'm thinking of just sticking with the stock unit now that I've got the dual MC worked out.

Looks like mine is the Bendix twist-lock unit.

Appreciate any advice,
Wally