Rare Parts Idler arm bearing kit

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

dgalietti

Rare Parts Idler arm bearing kit

Post by dgalietti »

Hello! This is my first post here. Hopefully I can do some good and help people out and learn from some other peoples experiences as well.

Currently I have the entire front of the car disassembled from the firewall forward 100%.

I'm working on the steering system right now and was wondering if anybody has tried the Rare parts idler bearing kit?

does it reduce the steering effort too much? Does the steering still track straight and stay centered?

Thanks for any input.

-David
paulr

Re: Rare Parts Idler arm bearing kit

Post by paulr »

I did. I replaced every suspension/steering component with a full slate of Rare Parts diamond series. But, before that happened I had my gearbox professionally rebuilt by Redhead. Those guys will tune your gear better than OEM and I'd say your goal is better served that way. The idler arm service and other steering parts replacement just provided safety and security. For the Tbird design to really work for you get your whole front end repaired and aligned. I've seen cars where LCA shims have disappeared.
dgalietti wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:00 pm
does it reduce the steering effort too much? Does the steering still track straight and stay centered?

Thanks for any input.

-David
Doesn't reduce steering effort at all. These cars have no steering effort. Straight/centered tracking is primarily an alignment issue.

Nearly forgot to say welcome to the forum. Keep the questions coming.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
dgalietti

Post by dgalietti »

Thanks Paul!

I rebuilt the steering gear myself. Everything was in fantastic shape inside, so It was pretty much just cleaning and resealing.

All of the suspension and steering components are new or refurbed as well.

I got the car in Feb and just literally ripped EVERYTHING out without even trying to get it running.

So far, the engine is done and sitting on a stand.. that trans is done. The steering box is done. The steering linkage and components are done except for the idler arm bushing. The Control arms and strut rods are done. The wiring harness is about 50% done.

The engine bay is stripped and cleaned, so the only thing that is holding me up now is that I am drilling out the frame rail reinforcements of both sides and welding new ones in due to some rust holes and not wanting to just patch them.

I really have done a pretty bad job of documenting my progress, but I will probably start a new thread and post the pics I have. Hopefully help somebody along the way.
dgalietti

Post by dgalietti »

I almost forgot... The main reason I was looking at the rare parts bearing kit was ease of install... and It supposedly helps with tire wear due to less deflection since there is no rubber bushing.

I also already got a bushing from Rockauto, but it was wrong.. so it went in the pile of incorrect 65 Tbird rockauto parts.
paulr

Post by paulr »

Wrong parts from Rockauto...that's happened to most of us. Watch out for ebay sellers--10x worse.

Reads like you plan to do some real driving if you're concerned about tire wear. My car's a driver so that's an issue. Unlike any modern vehicle, I think that continual vigilance over alignment, PS pump health, etc. is essential on this car.

If you're driving as much as I guess, consider a HD sway bar swap in the front only (rear is a waste of time on this car). 4500# swinging on a piece of spaghetti is probably their worst engineering understatement. This one mod made a notable improvement allowing a driver to dive into corners with a bit of confidence. The ol' girl lives up that front sneer and sashays less now. I bought a Carolina Sway Bar and have never been sorry. Linky: http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/p ... 2f4#p70794
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
dgalietti

Post by dgalietti »

Thanks Paul.

That is definitely number one of the list of first suspension Modifications. It will have to wait a little while. I spent waaay too much on the engine, trans, and suspension so far. So the piece of spaghetti is going back in for a while. That factory sway bar is ridiculous by the way...

My second on the list is the strut rods. There is a lot of improvement to be had there. I looked at using Poly bushings, and as far as I can tell, Poly Continental Bushings will work.. But I decided against it. I don't want to snap a strut rod or something.

So at some point the plan is to build my own set with Heim joints (or something similar) and a fixed bracket like the mustang guys have been doing for decades. Or possibly modify a set of aftermarket rods to function.
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

The deflection of the rubber is insignificant and provides some isolation. I would not go with anything that doesn't have it. All your going to end up with is NVH through the steering wheel.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
paulr

Post by paulr »

RedBird64 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:02 am The deflection of the rubber is insignificant and provides some isolation. I would not go with anything that doesn't have it. All your going to end up with is NVH through the steering wheel.
Probably, time's gonna tell. If the new idler bearing presented any vibration at all it was overcome by the full slate of front end parts and Redhead gear, I'm guessing (and jumbo sway bar, yada yada). You do too many things at one time and there's no more pinpointing the source of anything except this car's handling improved phenomenally. Could always switch that out again but I'm probably not gonna say you told me so. ;-)
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
dgalietti

Post by dgalietti »

thanks for the input everyone.

I decided I will go with the standard bushing, Mostly because I couldn't find the bearing kit anywhere that would ship within the next 1-3 months.
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

I haven't heard of this being a problem for anyone else but the only complaint I had about the stock bushing is it squeaked for a long time after I installed it!

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
dgalietti

Post by dgalietti »

I was going through my car pictured and remembered... I did in fact end up using the rare parts roller bearing kit. Mainly because I ordered rubber idler bushings twice and they were wrong twice.

I was impressed with the quality. And it was very easy to install. You can do it by hand and with some light tapping of a mallet. Here is a pic.
Attachments
1031191252a.jpg
1031191252.jpg