Thunder therapy is good for the soul

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

64ZCODE

Thunder therapy is good for the soul

Post by 64ZCODE »

Hi all.

This thread is about the therapeutic benefits of owning a TBird.

I came to TBird ownership relatively late in life, buying my ’64 just last year. But I should mention that my favorite slot car back in the day was a square bird with big slicks on the back that was the terror of the local track.

TBirds are cool and a joy to share with others. One time I was parked in my TBird in front of an auto parts store and a nice lady stopped her car to reminisce with me about her high school boyfriend who owned a TBird and how much she missed the car, but not the boyfriend. What better way is there to meet nice ladies and connect with our fellow human beings than with a TBird?

And the community of people that own TBirds is really cool and like a warm hug. Some of you will know that I’m also into Mustangs and Galaxies, and I participate in online forums for those cars. I have to tell you that far and away, TBird forums are my favorite. A great group of people, helpless in their common addiction to these cars and trying together to get on top of the never-ending list of issues that plague us owners. Truly, we are foxhole buddies and enjoy that bond that comes from being under fire and overcoming incredible odds.

Yes, for those of us on the shady side of half a bubble off of plumb, TBird ownership can greatly reduce the costs of therapy and is fairly affordable, all things considered. My wife likes to say that my TBird habit is cheaper than another woman. I’m not sure what she means by that, but she’s usually right, so I’m going to continue with my thunder therapy as long as I can.

Happy Thunderbirding!

Doug
1964 TBird Hardtop
1974 Porsche 914 2.0
RedBird64

Re: Thunder therapy is good for the soul

Post by RedBird64 »

Great post Doug!
I can't count the number of times someone has stopped me to say My Mom, Dad, etc, had one of these.
Seems like the Thunderbird mystique was really a thing back in the day.
As far as therapy goes, I don't enjoy working on her quite as much as I once did, It seems like I can figure things out better than ever but I dmake stupid mistakes that sets me two steps backward all too often.
It's a great feeling of accomplishment when you get something worked out though.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Sometimes dealing with T-birds makes me think I should go into therapy - physical and anger management especially. But then I get behind the wheel, turn the key and for a while I don't have a care in the world until I hear something strange from under the hood or outside the car...
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
64ZCODE

Post by 64ZCODE »

Hi Alan. When you put it that way, it sounds a bit like my marriage:)

Yes, I guess I’d rather think about the TBird problems I’ve solved than the ones that are like the bear in the woods, you know he’s there and dealing with him is gonna be gnarly.

Then again, it would be boring if everything is fixed and there’s nothing more to do. Thankfully, not much chance of that with a TBird.

Doug
1964 TBird Hardtop
1974 Porsche 914 2.0
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

Alan H. Tast wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:27 pm Sometimes dealing with T-birds makes me think I should go into therapy - physical and anger management especially. But then I get behind the wheel, turn the key and for a while I don't have a care in the world until I hear something strange from under the hood or outside the car...
My feelings at times exactly!
64ZCODE

Post by 64ZCODE »

Alan H. Tast wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:27 pm Sometimes dealing with T-birds makes me think I should go into therapy - physical and anger management especially. But then I get behind the wheel, turn the key and for a while I don't have a care in the world until I hear something strange from under the hood or outside the car...
The Hagerty DriveShare site describes the TBird as the "Rolls-Royce of the western hemisphere". Lordy, no wonder we're helplessly in thrall of these cars!
1964 TBird Hardtop
1974 Porsche 914 2.0
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

My signature contains a link to a sound byte that always makes me smile. Therapy.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
64ZCODE

Post by 64ZCODE »

Nice!
1964 TBird Hardtop
1974 Porsche 914 2.0