Fuel Injection!

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

jtschug

Re: Fuel Injection!

Post by jtschug »

Thanks!

I have a new tank up in the attic I bought 15 years ago. I was thinking I’d have to cut and weld on it, just curious if there was an easier way. I have a respirator I can use for welding on galvanized. I will probably take it in and get it coated as well when I’m done just to make sure there is no porosity through the weld.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

You could try one of these under the hood.
dgalietti

Post by dgalietti »

Hey Scott

Great write up. I read everything twice as I was ordering my Sniper set up. I have a couple of questions.

1- Did you consider using the sniper system to control the ignition? and at this point after running it for a while, do you think it would be a worthwhile upgrade? Using the holley distributor seems like the best bet.

2- I saw that you did a alternator upgrade. Did you just run a separate heavier gauge wire back to the solenoid? I have the Tuff stuff 140amp 1G alternator.

3- You said that you mounted to fuel pump to a spring and it reduced the noise? I'm not quite picturing that. I was planning on making bracket and mounting the pump to a bracket, then suspending it from rubber buffers or possibly and exhaust hanger type thing if I can find something appropriate.

5- I think you said that you have electric fans.. are you using the sniper system to control them? If so, how is that working out.. and what relay setup did you use?

6- I'm sure I will think of some more questions when I get started!

Again.. awesome write up!

-David
sleeper bird

Post by sleeper bird »

were you able to retain the stock air filter housing with the throttle body?
comic

Post by comic »

I don't post here often, so I apologize if it's against forum etiquette to bump an old post like this with a question that isn't exactly related to the original topic, but I was wondering: could anyone could steer me to a replacement gas tank for my 66 Town landau with all of the necessary holes in it for a fuel injection setup? Thanks in advance.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

You could contact SPECTRA in Quebec CDA, and ask if they could provide your needs. No promises but possible. You may need to provide the fitting locations to satisfy your needs.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
sleeper bird

Post by sleeper bird »

has anyone tried to use the stock air filter with the sniper?
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

See page 4 WhiteThunder post 30th April 2020
sleeper bird

Post by sleeper bird »

was not sure if classic style air filter meant stock or not.
sleeper bird

Post by sleeper bird »

looks like im going to get the sniper for christmas.Will the stock 55 amp support the extra load of the fuel injection?
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

sleeper bird wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:46 pm looks like im going to get the sniper for christmas.Will the stock 55 amp support the extra load of the fuel injection?
No.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
sleeper bird

Post by sleeper bird »

thanks
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Hey everybody, I thought I would post an update on my Sniper install (finally, right?).
Robbie (Sleeper Bird) PM'd me and I thought I'd copy and paste what I wrote to hi (cuz I'm kinda lazy like that LOL).

The Sniper is working out pretty good! I've learned a couple of things along the way.
First is that even though it runs OK as-is, you really need to do a little air fuel ratio tuning to make it the best it can be. Holley sets Idle, Cruise and Full throttle AFR's all to 14.7 but it will run better if you tweak those some. That's really easy to do on the fly though. Idle will be best around 11~13, cruise you just keep leaning out until it stumbles with light acceleration and WOT likes things rich so I just set it to 12 but it's better to read the plugs.

Second thing is the throttle body choice. I used the 4150, 4BBl 900 CFM unit but it's way too much for a relatively mild 390. There's really nothing you could do to this engine to make it capable of using that much air flow without spinning it to 7000 RPM and having a big cam. The result of having too big of EFI is like putting too many (or too big) carbs on. Only about half the throttle does anything and after that, there just isn't anymore power and it starts to fall on its face. It tends to screw up the transmissions response to full throttle. It pulls hard and then just flattens out at the top. Then it wont pull anymore RPM's and the trans doesn't shift out unless you lift off the throttle slightly. (Curious how this is working out for others. I tried adjusting the trans modulator but shifts got too soft and it didn't work). Don't get me wrong, the 4bbl works but I suspect the 2bbl would be better.

A much better choice would be the 2300 type 2 bbl Sniper rated at 570 CFM, which is slightly larger than the stock 4 bbl carb out cars came with I think. You'd have to use an adapter plate but a spacer is always good anyway.
Some day I will make that change - you know, when I have an extra $1k laying around..

So I'm still really pleased with the Sniper. Car starts in about 2~3 eng rotations even after sitting a couple of months! Idle is smooth and throttle response is fantastic. It doesn't even care about this lousy corn fuel we have to run.
My next project is to replace the (noisy) provided fuel pump with an in-tank unit. I think I have the logistics worked out - just got to get started.

I'm going to get back to the forum more often but if I'm absent, feel free to PM me.

Cheers,
Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

dgalietti wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:25 pm Hey Scott

Great write up. I read everything twice as I was ordering my Sniper set up. I have a couple of questions.

1- Did you consider using the sniper system to control the ignition? and at this point after running it for a while, do you think it would be a worthwhile upgrade? Using the holley distributor seems like the best bet.

2- I saw that you did a alternator upgrade. Did you just run a separate heavier gauge wire back to the solenoid? I have the Tuff stuff 140amp 1G alternator.

3- You said that you mounted to fuel pump to a spring and it reduced the noise? I'm not quite picturing that. I was planning on making bracket and mounting the pump to a bracket, then suspending it from rubber buffers or possibly and exhaust hanger type thing if I can find something appropriate.

5- I think you said that you have electric fans.. are you using the sniper system to control them? If so, how is that working out.. and what relay setup did you use?

6- I'm sure I will think of some more questions when I get started!

Again.. awesome write up!

-David
Hi David, I'm so sorry I didn't see your post. A bit too late probably but I'll throw a couple of things out there.

1. Yes! I'm still thinking about it LOL. I wanted to get it running perfect first. I had a roughness idle even before the Sniper and I recently figured that out so I might still go that route.

2. Yes, I just ran a 6 awg wire from the back of the alt to the solenoid. I also left the stock charge wire in place. The ammeter acts a little strange but all it works otherwise. FWIW, the ammeter will show proper discharge if someone like a concourse judge turns on the headlights with the eng off. :redhotevil:

3. The spring thing didn't work very good so skip that idea. I'm going to use a universal mounting collar to install an in-tank pump. Or at least that's the plan..

5. Yes, I have a two fan setup and the Sniper does a fantastic job of controlling them. It turns on one at a lower temp and if that one doesn't keep up, it turns on the second one. Most of the time it only needs the single, quiet fan. I used a couple of (real) Bosch relays just because this circuit is so critical.

One other thing I might add was a mistake on my part caused a rough idle and vibration at certain RPM's. I finally figured out it was the PCV valve I added. I used one from a later model 390 but it was still wrong. I finally used an adjustable valve and the car has never run better. They are expensive but well worth it.

Scott

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Scott 600CFm is about right for a stock 390 so the 570CFM should be good. Not sure why you went with the bigger 900 one. Only you will know. You could try one of these pumps. https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_sy ... rts/12-132 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpf-40015 https://fitechefi.com/product/go-fuel-u ... e-340-lph/