Electrical Schematics...

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

gravelman

Electrical Schematics...

Post by gravelman »

Does anyone publish full-size schematics for the '65' Thunderbird? I have the Electrical Assembly Manual but would like a larger format just dedicated to the circuitry.

Thanks,
gravelman

Re: Electrical Schematics...

Post by gravelman »

I guess that is a big NO... I can't believe that someone must have a real copy of the wiring? Not asking for free...

Thanks,
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

If you're referring to the large ledger-size format (11"x17"), about your only option is to find an original Ford-produced Wiring Manual used by Ford service departments that covered all Ford/Lincoln/Mercury cars. These used a plastic comb binder, so pulling out individual sheets for copying/enlarging can be a bit of a chore. Originals are hard to find and can be very expensive - trust me, I've been collecting these kinds of things for over 3 decades, and I've only seen a handful of them (but then again I don't monitor ebay or other online auction sites).

Quite frankly, the reprints were copied from the service department binder sets and reduced in size. My recommendation would be to take one of the reprinted electrical assembly manuals to a self-serve copier that has 11x17-sized paper, or find a printer/scanner set up for large-format printing (such as those used for architectural/engineering drawings like 15x21, 24x36 or 32x40-inch sizes), scale up the reprint to fit the sheet size you want to use and print it out.

You'd need to do something similar for the full electrical schematic diagrams that are in the Shop Manual if you want larger copies.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
gravelman

Post by gravelman »

Allan, Thanks for your thoughtful reply... I didn't see any schematics in the '65' Thunderbird Shop Manual... there are schematics for the convertible top, am I missing something? The blue Electrical manual would be a help, but it's not a schematic if you are re-wiring the entire car.
losendos

Post by losendos »

Gravelman, take a look at classiccarwiring.com. I got a nice 11x17 laminated color wiring diagram for my 1966 from them. They have other sizes too.
-Patrick
1966 Town Hardtop
VTCI #12691
Past Birds: 1986 Turbo Coupe 5-speed, 1965 Convertible
gravelman

Post by gravelman »

Patrick,

Thanks for the lead, I ordered one. It will be interesting to see how comprehensive and complete the schematic is. I figure you get enough information, sooner or later you'll figure it out. I have an avionics buddy who's very good and I'll see if I can enlist services...

Mitch
paulr

Post by paulr »

losendos wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:31 pm Gravelman, take a look at classiccarwiring.com. I got a nice 11x17 laminated color wiring diagram for my 1966 from them. They have other sizes too.
Sorry I saw this late, Mitch. He's right--I think you'll get everything you need on that schematic. I have the small size and it is plenty big. So far, I've never found an error on the 64MY schematic except for one: the 64 power seat schematic is from a previous year, and not at all what's in any 64 I've seen. But, that's minor.

I suppose the 65 schematic is just as good.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
gravelman

Post by gravelman »

Paul,

That's good news, that was a great referral...

Mitch