Running open shorties?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

adam78

Running open shorties?

Post by adam78 »

How dangerous is it really to run around with open shorties? I just installed ceramic coated Sanderson shorties on my 64 T bird. I am still working out the brakes, but will probably not make it to the exhaust shop to have the rest of the exhaust setup until after my next paycheck in 2 weeks. I have searched for this, and people have said not to do it long term with shorties, but ok with long tubes. Or that it is fine in the summer but not in the winter due to valves cooling too quickly and warping. I'm not looking to daily her an hour each way, but after having it off the road for a year, I kind of want to drive around loud as hell for a week before I quiet her up. Is this short time ok? Or not worth the risk?

If that is a no-go. Is it okay to drive it the 15min to the exhaust shop to have that put on? Or should I just have AAA tow her there? Thanks everyone!
ozbird

Re: Running open shorties?

Post by ozbird »

Hi Adam,

I just a few weeks ago installed ceramic coated Sanderson headers and like you debated on whether to drive it a bit. I live in a built up area so would not have driven it far, just onto the tow truck to the exhaust shop which I did in the end.

From my experience I would only run the engine for a short time, try it yourself in a darkened garage and rev it up and look at the exhaust - mine spewed large flames out and now the firewall is covered in soot, maybe something could have melted if left too long?

Your call, it does sound good without the exhaust but make sure you wear hearing protection, I had ringing ears hours afterwards!

Graeme
1962 Hardtop - in Melbourne, Australia
Fawkes

Post by Fawkes »

As far as I know all the stories of engines being damaged by open headers have been dispelled as myth. Mine is currently running open exhaust manifolds while I wait on exhaust and I just have to move it around the shop. Sounds great but man is it loud! Like ozbird said I think your biggest concern is what will be charbroiled when it spits fire. I would mainly be worried about the starter or the paint on the firewall getting cooked. But I think for a short jaunt it would be fine
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

As far as I know all the stories of engines being damaged by open headers have been dispelled as myth.
Would have to agree - never saw it proven 100% positive - but a lot of conjecture. We had an old farm tractor that came new with an exhaust pipe about 10" long off the exhaust manifold. That was it for the standard exhaust - no muffler! It would glow bright red at night and your ears would ring long after getting off! Rode hard and put away wet many times over the decades and is now restored and still running and ringing ears!!
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

From a farm boy; nothing sounds better than an International-McCormack "Super C" Scuffling tractor pulling a load of hay bales up the gang way, into the barn. All the pull its got and almost stalling in the process, but doing the job with a 2 foot "1" diameter exhaust pipe.
Chug-chug chug at about 3 beats per second.
Now that's memories.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible