Pickup Headders on 66 Tbird

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Mike66

Pickup Headders on 66 Tbird

Post by Mike66 »

I have the possibility of geting me a set of these headders used.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... /overview/

They are listed for a truck, but have anyone tried putting them on a 66 Tbird convertible?

Do they need a massive redesign to work or.. ?

Before I buy them I would like to know how much of a hassle they will be to fit :)
sseebart

Re: Pickup Headders on 66 Tbird

Post by sseebart »

I would be shocked to find that headers for any other car or truck would fit into the cramped Thunderbird engine compartment without serious modifications to either the headers or the car. (I once bought headers for a truck from summit that didn't fit, even though they were specific to my year and engine!)

I believe there is only a single manufacturer making headers for Flairbirds--can't remember their name at the moment, but a quick search of this forum should turn it up in short order.

~Steve
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

There are two companies that make shorty headers for Flairbirds: FPA (http://www.fordpowertrain.com/fpaindex/headers2.htm) and Sanderson (https://www.sandersonheaders.com/)

I have the FPA headers on mine (With BBM aluminum 16-bolt heads) They fit, but they are very tight and required some grinding on the dash braces and some shims on the motor mounts. FPA recommended that the headers should be installed on the engine before going in to the car, but my body guy who had just painted the car insisted on doing it the other way around.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
ozbird

Post by ozbird »

Hi,

I purchased a set of Sandersons from summit - good price and fitted well. Had to jack up engine with spacers but all good. Have not had car on road yet so not able to report any findings yet.

Here is a link to a recent thread::

http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/p ... =6&t=14619

Graeme
1962 Hardtop - in Melbourne, Australia
Mike66

Post by Mike66 »

Great news on the Sanderson models - and sorry for my double post on this, I didnt realize the first post worked as I had some computer problems.

So did the Sandersons fit the Thunderbird with the original starter or do you have a mini-starter?
ozbird

Post by ozbird »

Hi Mike,

work on car has been very slow but now to the point of installing new exhaust, will report back soon.

Apart from raising the engine 1/4" everything fitted well, the air cleaner is now higher so that needs to be taken into account. The starter I have is a mini starter but looks to me that a standard start would fit ok. I had to make an extender for the transmission oil filler mount at the top, the header outlet would not permit it to bolt on, other than that no issues yet.

Graeme

edit :: added what oil filler I meant.
Last edited by ozbird on Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

I needed about an 1/8" shim on the motor mounts with the FPAs. I had trouble with the air cleaner to hood clearance, but I'm running an aftermarket intake and air cleaner, so I don't think the headers are to blame. Also running the big original size starter, and I put an insulation blanket around it, so hopefully it won't cook. Some grinding was needed on the firewall brace that goes under the bell housing, but that was about it. it is tight, many places it has less than a 1/2" clearance.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
ozbird

Post by ozbird »

it is tight, many places it has less than a 1/2" clearance.
That is perfect, better than factory. I have less than 1/8" clearance on passenger side outlet but everywhere else seems good.

Graeme
adam78

Post by adam78 »

I JUST intalled a set of Sandersons on my 64. They went in pretty well, I had to chop about a 1/2 inch off of the overlapping metal plate on the wheel well on the passenger side. The drivers side dropped right in. I havent taken it to the exhaust shop yet to finish it, but it looks like its going to be a helluva bend to get out of the engine bay haha. But they look great and sound pretty awesome with nothing else attached :smile:
ozbird

Post by ozbird »

Good stuff I found the same thing as you did.....the bend on the passenger side comes out at a 90 degree angle looks pretty good from under the car!

Graeme.