64 Tbird big project- 4.6L mod motor, 5spd manual, IRS

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

jtschug

Re: 64 Tbird big project- 4.6L mod motor, 5spd manual, IRS

Post by jtschug »

I think the Town Car had air ride suspension. You should be able to replace with a stock mechanical spring/shock set up from a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis which were built on the same EN/FN platform
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

I wasn't aware that the town car had air ride, turns out they did, but I didn't have any luck trying to find the right setup for the 04+ front suspension. I think I'm going to try to find a universal spring with the correct dimensions and rate that I can put on the stock strut...

Finally got the car on the ground and backed it into the garage to keep the fun going.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Last edited by Hitman on Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

I am a hard core original/stock kind of guy; BUT I give credit when it is do. THAT IS ONE SWEET CAR. It will be modern, clean, and drivable.
The mods you are doing are great, and the car is retaining its exterior appearance. You have saved another bird from the crusher death.
Good work.

RAVEN
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

Thanks raven! That's what I'm going for, minimal/tasteful changes to the body with mechanical changes that make it pleasing to drive going down the highway at 80mph. I'd also feel bad if I was starting with something restored or rare (although it wouldve made the process easier). But I have no feeling of regret when cutting up a $700 pile that probably wasn't even worth parting out (I've built 3-4 other cars in the past, none of which cost more than $1000 up front) it's always satisfying to think that because of me that car is on the road, hopefully for decades to come.
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

I've been following and I like it. I'm actually starting to think I need another project, beater tbirds are cheap, unlike raggedy Galaxie's. I'm short on space so I'm just watching for now, we'll see :mrgreen:
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

I usually favor stock restorations, but a modified car can be amazing. It shows what can be done with a bit of creativity, talent, time and of course money! A lot of guys are extremely talented and can build something like this at home, and end up with a great car that will be a lot of fun to drive and show. In addition, they recycle many parts from other cars, and keep another Thunderbird on the road! Looks awesome.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

did you go to cobra hubs in the back or redrill the mark hubs?

Imo shoulda stuck with the 2v. eddy intake fast efi kit and you'll be at the same hp as that 4v.
http://www.per-race-engines.com
1996 Thunderbird LX
Mods
Stock is boring and useless!
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

They're the mark viii hubs still, I found some 1.25" spacers that were dual drilled so I didn't have to do anything to the hubs to fit the wheel bolt pattern.

It was a convoluted swap over from the 2v 4.6 to the dohc, but I liked how the dohc looked visually and the added bonus for this swap was that I got to see and hear the dohc run before pulling it (hadn't seen the 2v run). Plus I was able to sell the 2v for damn near what the dohc cost me to buy, add to that the more desirably teksid block and i couldn't resist, but I get where you're coming from Vicrattlehead
maw

Post by maw »

Any updates on your project? I would think that you will have to change the gears in the rearend to 3:89 to 4:11 range the 4.6 is not overly torqued. I think the Mark rear is probably in the 3:00 range, and the Bird is pretty heavy.
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

Hmmmm. Photos gone, updates few and far between. Looks, sadly, like a project death-spiral...
ozbird

Post by ozbird »

Photos hosted on photobucket will soon show like they do here unless you pay $$ or change hosting providers.

I changed to http://postimg.org and so far easy to work with once you get the first image posted. All my photobucket hosted images are still working so maybe I did something different to some other users.

Graeme
1962 Hardtop - in Melbourne, Australia
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

This projects far from dead, but the photobucket greed has slowed the updates for sure! Thanks ozbird, I'll look into that site (no way in hell im paying $400/yr)!

Since my last post I've made a substructure for the trunk floor and fuel tank and have skinned it and seam sealed it. I removed the IRS cradle to paint it and change seals out on the center section. Next up its to finish painting the underbody, install the IRS for good, and to shift my attention a bit: this whole time I was planning on having the dirty bodywork and painting done before getting the mechanical systems working, but I can't wait that long. Next up is a fuel tank, fuel lines and wiring, planning on getting the engine running as my main goal 'short term'.

With all the wiring that will be happening to get the engine running, I turned some attention to the dash. I saw where a member here fiberglassed their dash cap, since this would save me hundreds of dollars, i figured I'd give it a try; I'm 1/3 of the way done now and am pretty happy with how it's coming along.

Updates to come when I can figure the pictures out (but don't worry, I promise this project is being worked on, at the very least weekly)!
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Glad to see you back, and are still on going.
Have been following the post and like the way it is going. Keep it up, best of luck and await the finished product.
When done, will work to get you to bring it to a National event to show how to save a bird of extinction.
It may not be stock, but it is a saved one.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

Hitman wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:02 pm This projects far from dead, but the photobucket greed has slowed the updates for sure! Thanks ozbird, I'll look into that site (no way in hell im paying $400/yr)!
Glad to hear you're still with us--one of the best projects I've seen on this site & I am looking forward to seeing it on the road.

The forum has been updated to allow direct uploading of photos, so have at it!

~Steve
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

Thanks guys! It' mans a lot to hear how you and anyone else is following along...just wish life and technology didn't get in the way!!

And Raven, I'd love to take you up on that offer! I'm building this thing to sell it (eventually) but that doesnt mean I'm not going to drive it around for a few months to work the kinks out! ...I'm a purist at heart for cars that have the pedigree of being more than just a number off the production line, but as you alluded: I have no remorse especially since the car would otherwise be rotting into the ground or have been melted into some part for a washing machine part. It's been fun modifying the car and enjoy the freedom of building it to how I see it should be (given access to 'modern' drivetrain and luxuries).

I'll try tonight to play around with direct uploading some new pics and the backlog that photobucket messed up for me...