64 Tbird big project- 4.6L mod motor, 5spd manual, IRS

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Hitman

Re: 64 Tbird big project- 4.6L mod motor, 5spd manual, IRS

Post by Hitman »

Tbird64 wrote:Just FYI. You do not need to mini tub to fit a 275

Depending on rim back space. The rims I got will fit a 275 on all 4 corners with nothing more than a 1" spacer back and front. There are tons of room in the wheel wells. Im actually debating going up to a 315 on the back
Which might be doable with nothing more than rolled fenders. But repositioning of the factory bump stops will gain tones of room without moding wheels wells

In which case you could use a smaller space spacer and still run the wheel flairs.
Thanks for letting me know! It just looked like the wheel wells closed up fast as you went higher up them, I guess I'll reevaluate before cutting everything!
Tbird64

Post by Tbird64 »

Would all depend on you final ride height I suppose. At stock height lots of room
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

Tbird64 wrote:Would all depend on you final ride height I suppose. At stock height lots of room
I'm looking to have the rocker panels at 9" above the ground, so we'll see what kind of room there is. I'm picking these wheels up from Craigslist, hopefully it works out and they fit. All four wheels are 10.5 wide and are 275 tires.

Short term goals are to have the front tacked in this weekend and to cut ALL of the rusted floor pans out front to back.
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

For anyone interested in the front end: I took a 3.5" square tube and made it into a c-channel, even I'm amazed at how well it's working out so far. I may even be a week ahead of schedule; I may be able. To try to drop the engine into the car this weekend

Hitman

Post by Hitman »

Nothing picture worthy on the suspension yet, but I did prop the wheels up to get. A better idea of how they'll look and fit. Planning on mocking the engine into the car next weekend while I finish up the front suspension mounting during the week.

lowxr

Post by lowxr »

looking good man. coming along nice!

as said, you wont need to tub for 275's ive got 265's on mine at the moment but im trying for 275-295's with the current height i have. so you should fit yours pretty easy :hello1:

Hitman

Post by Hitman »

Thanks lowxr, your bird looks awesome! Starting to wish I went that route with my suspension, but I'm past the point of no return I thinks it's the front!

It's been 8 days and I'm really happy with the progress, even though the tops of the frame rails were more involved than I thought. I welded in tubes for the bolts to go through the frame rails and cut and angled the inner vertical part of the c channels for a better fit. According to my measurements I'm within 1/16" centered in all directions.

I am going to cut the old shock towers out before installing the engine to mock it up even though I don't need the space for the engine it will help for access to the exhaust

I'm also really happy with the wheels, I turned them lock to lock and there are miles of clearance behind them, I'll just have to keep an eye on the fender/ fender lip once it has some weight on it.

So far I'm right on budget - I'm all in at $2900 for the project so far with obviously a good chunk still to go.
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

The engine is in with no drama, except for me spilling transmission fluid everywhere when I angled it w/o the shifter...I just need to modify the transmission mount to work with the 5spd's mount. It's laying just as I had measured, I have about 3-4" between it and the firewall. I didn't need to cut the shock towers, but I'm glad I did so I have more access in the engine compartment.

Tbird64

Post by Tbird64 »

Just FYI. Got the tires in this week and fitted up.
If you remove the stock bump stop (which is bolted in) you can fit a 315 tire on the back end with no other modification.
(Offset and back spacing of rim dependent of course)

If you plan on a low stance and having the tire tucked right in then you'll need to start removing the inner well flange depending on how low you want to go.
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

Tbird64 wrote:Just FYI. Got the tires in this week and fitted up.
If you remove the stock bump stop (which is bolted in) you can fit a 315 tire on the back end with no other modification.
(Offset and back spacing of rim dependent of course)

If you plan on a low stance and having the tire tucked right in then you'll need to start removing the inner well flange depending on how low you want to go.
Wow, thats great to hear! I already removed the bump stops with no intentions of replacing them, I'll have to see when I get the thing on the ground how averythung else looks, but I'm gal you talked me out of cutting the wells out!
Tbird64

Post by Tbird64 »

I can't get over how much space is in these wheel wells.
Saves a lot of extra work.
I haven't pulled the springs yet to see how far they can tuck without getting into the flanges.
But I'm not planning to run really low so hopefully won't be an issue.
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

Rewelded three of the four hydra boost mounts so I can fit a stock astovan booster. I also had to weld some pieces of tubing to accommodate the pedal Assy.
I also cut the floor hole out for the shifter and cut some floor pans out
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

I removed the dash, it was simpler than I thought...I need to figure out what to do for the dash pad, I'd like to Replace it with a new stock one, but I hear they're expensive and take some time to get done. The pedals need to be tweaked a bit but the mount is in the right spot

My only concern now with the Astro van hydraboost is the hood clearance, but hopefully it should be fine.
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

I pulled the engine out last week so I can start plugging holes up in the firewall and actually prepping it and the underbody for paint. I'm not going to make my timeline, but I was kind of optimistic wanting to be done by November anyways, my new goal is to be done with it a year from the date I bought it... Pieces should start falling into place.

Hitman

Post by Hitman »

I've been less devoted to the project than I've been hoping now that I won't be reaching my 'deadline', however, I've started back up and am looking at body work now. I have the firewall almost completely shaved. Tomorrow I'll be welding a floor pan in and working on the cowl area.

Im trying to figure out paint color before I get to painting the engine compartment, what do you guys think, blue or silver?