Pertronix Ignitor 3 or optionPP

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Tbirdgul

Re: Pertronix Ignitor 3 or optionPP

Post by Tbirdgul »

Xmas64 and others, I finally ordered the Pertronix III electronic conversion kit. Did you use a stock coil? How did you wire it up? Any feedback on long term performance on the III would be very helpful. Thanks, Tony
Tony Gul - Southern California
VTCI# 13062
1964 Thunderbird hardtop black with white roof - current
1964 Thunderbird hardtop copper - 1986
64ZCODE

Post by 64ZCODE »

Hi there TBirdgul. I installed the Pertronix III on my '64. It works like a spark box, delivering multiple sparks per power stroke, and has been working great. I also installed the relay that Pertronix provides, which ensures a full 12v is reaching the + terminal of the coil. I did go with a Pertronix coil and MSD 8.5mm plug wires also. Overall, this setup substantially improved power and eliminated some misfiring at higher rpms which was occurring with the old points setup.

The stock points/condenser/coil spark is pretty weak, so making these ignition upgrades means the fuel/air mixture lights off and burns more strongly.

Doug
1964 TBird Hardtop
1969 Galaxie 500 Convertible
1990 Mustang 5.0 LX
1974 Porsche 914 2.0
Tbirdgul

Post by Tbirdgul »

Hey Doug, not sure if it’s related, but most recently it feels like the car is missing. I checked the spark plug wire and verified the plugs were tight, not sure if the Pertronix could lead to this issue. I’m using the stock coil with a relay and the 12V ignition wire. I’m thinking it could be fuel related since it occurs most when I hold throttle at a steady position while driving 30-50. Thoughts?
VTCI# 13062
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

I had a similar issue. I have an oxygen sensor, with an A/F gauge on the column and it showed the engine going lean with a steady part throttle. I tried a lot of things, but a fuel pressure regulator made it go away. I also found a slight fuel leak at the pump fitting, so maybe that was the problem
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
Tbirdgul

Post by Tbirdgul »

Thanks JT. I was considering that it might be the power valve or dirty jets or possibly failing fuel pump. You have EFI…right?
VTCI# 13062
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

Stock coil with 12 volt ignition wire? Yes, a lean condition can cause misfiring from my experience. I would be reluctant however to run the stock coil at 12 volts. Except at startup, the stock coil typically doesn’t see more than about 7 volts due to the resistor wire. Your coil may be breaking down. I’d try the coil recommended by Pertronix for your Ignitor. Good luck.

Bill
Past owner ‘61 TBird
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

Tbirdgul wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:34 pm Thanks JT. I was considering that it might be the power valve or dirty jets or possibly failing fuel pump. You have EFI…right?
I am working on a custom multiport EFI system, but as of right now, I'm running an old 725 CFM Road Demon carb.

I hate carburetors, and I hate myself for knowing as much as I've learned in the last two years about carburetors. If I had an extra $4000 bucks laying around at the right time, I would already have a well-tuned EFI system, but alas...
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
Tbirdgul

Post by Tbirdgul »

bbogue wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:06 pm Stock coil with 12 volt ignition wire? Yes, a lean condition can cause misfiring from my experience. I would be reluctant however to run the stock coil at 12 volts. Except at startup, the stock coil typically doesn’t see more than about 7 volts due to the resistor wire. Your coil may be breaking down. I’d try the coil recommended by Pertronix for your Ignitor. Good luck.

Bill
Past owner ‘61 TBird
Hi Bill, that was something I was considering, but heard some folks here had kept the stock coil. I guess it’s a pretty cheap and easy fix if that’s the issue. I’m going to pull the carb out and check for debris. If nothing comes up, I’ll order a new coil.
VTCI# 13062
Tbirdgul

Post by Tbirdgul »

jtschug wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:09 pm
Tbirdgul wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:34 pm Thanks JT. I was considering that it might be the power valve or dirty jets or possibly failing fuel pump. You have EFI…right?
I am working on a custom multiport EFI system, but as of right now, I'm running an old 725 CFM Road Demon carb.

I hate carburetors, and I hate myself for knowing as much as I've learned in the last two years about carburetors. If I had an extra $4000 bucks laying around at the right time, I would already have a well-tuned EFI system, but alas...
I feel your pain brotha. I’m buying the FItech EFi with Sump. About $1300. Plus I need to get an upraised alternator. Probably when I’m all done with that, something will make me pull the engine out :grab: :grab: :grab: :grab:
VTCI# 13062
TBirdMan951

Post by TBirdMan951 »

I have a Petronix lll with Petronix plug wires, motorcraft cap and rotor for sale. Has less than 1000 miles on it. Removed to install Holley Hyperspark ignition to go with Sniper EFI.
$100 plus shipping. First response to tbirdman951@aol.com buys it.