O2 Sensor Placement

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

sseebart

O2 Sensor Placement

Post by sseebart »

For those who have switched over to EFI, where did you install the O2 sensor?

I'm getting ready to reinstall my engine and while I'm not pulling the trigger on EFI yet, I want to install a bung for the O2 sensor while the motor is out and the exhaust is accessible. But, I want to make sure I can reach it and that the sensor fits when the motor is back in place.

~Steve
jtschug

Re: O2 Sensor Placement

Post by jtschug »

I put them in the exhaust pipes just after the headers. FPA sent the header flanges with the bungs already welded in.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
grburas

Post by grburas »

I run an MSD Atomic. I put the sensor on the passenger side downpipe of the exhaust "H-pipe" approx 3 inches from the flange mounted at approx 25 degrees tilt toward the fender. Be sure to mount in a manner that does not interfere with getting a socket on the exhaust flange.
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

I would place it in the pipe just after the bend to the outside so it is sort of under the car and accessible. All that depending on how far away that is from the cylinder head of course. I think they recommend about 2 ft unless the sensor is heated then you can put them anywhere.
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

Thanks, everyone. I actually took a stab at this a few weeks back, and as you can see from the photo, I am an idiot: I (partially) welded the bung on before noticing that the flange was on the wrong side.

I had to order some new bungs, then wait out a severe heat wave, but am hoping to cut this one off and weld another in its place this weekend. I'm kind of commited to this location, as you can see, but I can always tack weld a plug here and try another location if this is a terrible placement.

~Steve
20200514_155714.jpg
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

It was a good bit of welding though Steve.