Hydroboost Installation - 1962

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

ozbird

Post by ozbird »

Thanks Arthur,

maybe I'd be well advised to get your video skills on board to film the car at speed and with the anchors on!

Graeme
1962 Hardtop - in Melbourne, Australia
bulletbird 1962

Post by bulletbird 1962 »

Very easy just tape up a web cam underneath you car and run a 5 metre or 15 foot USB lead from the web cam to a laptop inside your car and press record. or a small sports action camera can do, but if you use a laptop you can see what's going on.
novanutcase

Post by novanutcase »

Nice valve covers.

Great job! Looks like you cleared up a fair bit of room there.

John
Professional Pic Whore

ozbird

Post by ozbird »

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I have booked car in for a front end alignment (it's second) as the camber is still way off. My friend Mark who made me the bracket for the Hydroboost is also making me the spacers in the correct width once the Goodyear Tyre and Brake guys get their act together! I thanked the owner for passing my car for roadworthy but I don't honestly know how it passed, the testing must not be that extensive! I also mentioned I have fixed the brakes and told him about the Hydroboost, he had never heard of it!

Have attached another crappy video in which you can hear the exhaust 'croaking', that's the only way I can describe it, give it some throttle and it transforms into a wild rhino! I then move to the engine bay where I try and highlight the piping and the hydroboost connection/master cylinder. Will put up another video once brakes are setup and wheel alignment is good.

*** CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO START IT

cheers

Graeme
edpol

Post by edpol »

Sounds exactly like my car when I bought it. A PO installed straight pipes with magnaflows. All that does, is make the car sound like the exhaust has rusted through in spots.
I always wondered why hydroboost didn't replace vacuum boosters. They were installed on a lot of cars throughout the price spectrum, not just high end models, so cost doesn't seem to be a factor.
Since I'm not concerned about what the car looks like under the hood, I'm not too worried about the shock tower struts. How much easier would this installation have been, if mounted to a bracket rather than directly to the firewall?
ozbird

Post by ozbird »

Thanks for the replies edpol and Bdastrk, I should edit the description, it has straight through exhaust with no H/X pipe and two oval mufflers under the rear guards.

It does sound like it has rusted through, so I will take your advice and get the H pipe installed before anything else.

Very happy with the conversion at the moment but have not really stretched it as the camber is way out and not keen to do anything until that is fixed. The brake pedal 'feels' exactly like my 2010 GM Holden brake pedal with the difference being anti lock and ESC in the new cars - I will have to be careful with a hard stop until I get used to it.
Since I'm not concerned about what the car looks like under the hood, I'm not too worried about the shock tower struts. How much easier would this installation have been, if mounted to a bracket rather than directly to the firewall?
If you mean to a bracket in the original location with the Hydroboost in the 'normal' position which is with the lines at the top you will find the gas canister close or touching the valve cover. Turning it over 90 degrees may be doable but you can also turn it 45 degrees by making an adapter for the master cylinder.

Graeme
edpol

Post by edpol »

Thanks.
Jaylan_Bates

1966 conversion

Post by Jaylan_Bates »

do you guys think it would be possible for me to convert a 1966 tbird to hydro boost , and if you think so where could i get a mounting plate for my application or how could i make one i really need your guys help this is really impotant for me, thanks and i know its in the wrong forum but you the only guy brave enough to do this conversion and i wan to oing the group -Jaylan
ozbird

Post by ozbird »

Hi Jaylan,

of course it will be possible, the 66' is pretty much the same firewall setup as the 62 that I have converted.

The bracket should be available from any supplier of hydroboost systems, I had one made to suit but ring around and you will find one.

Good luck with it.

Graeme
Jaylan_Bates

Post by Jaylan_Bates »

Really motivating thanks before i give it a try i would like to ask a huge favor , could you please tell me the thickness of the unit regarding the side because i need it to clear my big block valve covers and cant get ahold of anyone who has this unit[/i]
ozbird

Post by ozbird »

:mrgreen:

Hi again,

I don't have access to the car at the moment but I can tell you that the hydroboost residual valve easily clears the valve covers on my car with the lines facing UP. They have to face up otherwise they foul the gear mechanism. Plus I have aluminum valve covers that WOULD NOT fit with the standard booster, in other words, they are huge.

The other thing to remember is that my conversion used a mounting block which added another 1/2" or so to the unit...still plenty of room. You maybe could mount it directly to the firewall...not an option for me unfortunately.

Try some of the vendors in the links I have found over the last 12 months, you will be able to get some more information.

Graeme

http://v8tvshow.com/content/view/125/43/

http://www.hydratechbraking.com/

http://www.stu-offroad.com/suspension/v ... oost-3.htm

http://www.maverickcomet.com/TechArticl ... boost1.asp

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/45-ford-mo ... lines.html

edpol

Post by edpol »

Some good links Graeme. That CPP MC is tops. Nice clean install, and 5 or more fewer fittings means 5 or more fewer potential leaks. It doesn't cost much more than a new MC and good quality combo valve.
novanutcase

Post by novanutcase »

As apprentice picture whore ( to novanutcase )......
You've been promoted to VP of picwhoring!!! :mrgreen:

Glad to see the HB worked out for you. I remember the first time I drove a HB equipped car. I was VERY impressed with it's performance. HB came stock on my '03 'Stang and when I outfit it with a set of Wilwood SL6's up front and DL4's in back the HB really came to life! Luckily I was wearing my harness the first time I stomped on the brakes otherwise I would have been projected through the windshield!! :mrgreen:

John
Professional Pic Whore

ozbird

Post by ozbird »

Tell me about it John, last weekend I was taking a drive with my car club in the 62' and dozens of regular motor bikes and others with side cars on a two way road. A side car pulled out and traffic stopped .... quickly. I did the old panic stop and all wheels locked up for a moment then the car just stopped - with my old set up I would have been up the rear end of an 80's Lincoln without a doubt. ( it was an ugly old thing anyway!)

One day I will post a video of the car using the brakes to advantage but just have to find the right time and place.

Graeme
:mrgreen:
novanutcase

Post by novanutcase »

While I love the extra clamping power the HB gives I most like the reservoir it has so that in case the engine stops you still have a few full brake pumps to get over to the side of the road.

John
Professional Pic Whore