Discs with Original Wheels?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

Andrew7026

Discs with Original Wheels?

Post by Andrew7026 »

So I have seen a lot of people here say that they have had to upgrade to 15 inch wheels in order to fit disc brakes. However, while I have not seen any for our birds specifically, I have seen several kits for early Fords that they say will fit 14" wheels. I am aware that I would need to find different rims because the stock ones would not clear the calipers as far as offset goes, but I don't have the budget for anything more than steelies plus I really like the stock wheel covers with spinners better than anything else I have seen.
I was wondering if it is possible to get something together from those kits that would fit the bird and allow me to run basically the stock wheels.
Maybe this kit? https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Brake ... =140-13653
GeorgeG

Re: Discs with Original Wheels?

Post by GeorgeG »

The kit you referenced is for full sized Fords and Mercurys. Wilwood doesn't make a front kit for '61 - '63 TBirds. The spindles are probably different, but I'll let the brake experts chime in to confirm.
George
VTCI #9586
Early '61 hardtop: 4-wheel discs, C6 trans, 390 HP, coil over shocks, tach, LED lights....in family since new
'75 Porsche 914 1.8 FI upgraded to 2.0 specs
Andrew7026

Post by Andrew7026 »

Ok thanks. That's what I was wondering, is if the Thunderbird is considered a full size and if the spindles are the same as other full size cars. Or maybe the Fairlane?
RedRocket

Post by RedRocket »

I know that there are disc brake kits out there that will fit original14" rims because that is what my '61 has. Unfortunately, I bought the car with those brakes and don't know where the kit came from. Have you looked at ABS brakes or Jamco? Good luck.
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Andrew7026 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:20 pm Ok thanks. That's what I was wondering, is if the Thunderbird is considered a full size and if the spindles are the same as other full size cars. Or maybe the Fairlane?
The '61-'66 T-birds' suspension system is NOTHING like the full-size '57-'64 Ford/Mercury cars, especially for the spindles. They are NOT the same. Likewise, the Fairlane/Comet spindles are also nowhere close, especially for the weight they're designed to handle. Don't doubt me.

If you are really determined for a bolt-on swap, bite the bullet and get the front brake setup for a '65-'66 T-bird, and look into what options are available to use something other than the Kelsey-Hayes 4-piston calipers. I suggest you start learning to use the 'Search' function at the upper right corner of the screen and search for 'disc brake conversion 1961' and see what turns up.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
stubbie

Post by stubbie »