Will these wheels and tires fit on my 62 TBird?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

kbuhagiar

Will these wheels and tires fit on my 62 TBird?

Post by kbuhagiar »

Hello folks,

I wasn't planning on changing the rolling stock on my 62 Tbird so soon, but my buddy with a 64 Galaxie Wagon is upgrading and giving me first dibs on his wheels and tires. The fronts are 205R65-15, 7" rim width, with 4" of backspacing, and the rears are 255R60-15, 8" rim width, with 4.5" of backspacing.

I have aftermarket disc brakes on the front of unknown origin, but the calipers are standard GM metric-style used in many conversion kits. The rear is stock.

Should I just forget about it, or can I entertain the notion that they might fit?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by kbuhagiar on Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Ken
1962 Convertible
1966 Q-code Landau Coupe (sold)
1990 SuperCoupe 5-speed (sold)
Alan H. Tast

Re: Will these wheels and tires fit on my 62 TBird?

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Offset = distance from centerline of wheel to wheel mounting face
Backspace = distance from inboard face of wheel to wheel mounting face

Original wheels met these dimensions:
https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... 966#p70043

And, as a reminder, we're still needing OEM baseline info on clearances in the wheelwells:
https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... 966#p70045
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
kbuhagiar

Post by kbuhagiar »

My apologies if my nomenclature is inaccurate.
I'm referring to the distance from the inboard mounting face of the wheel to the inboard wheel mounting flange.

In layman's terms, it's how far the wheel "sticks in" to the wheelwell.
Cheers, Ken
1962 Convertible
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

This is a bit complicated as you have an aftermarket disk brake set up and we are clueless as to what you have. Since the seller is "your buddy" why not just borrow one front and rear and try them on for size? Once you tell us if they fit or not, then we will all know.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
kbuhagiar

Post by kbuhagiar »

Joe,

The disc brake setup was on my car when I bought it, and I have not been able to determine its origin. I can tell you that the calipers are the GM 'metric' style used in many conversion kits.

'My buddy' lives 200 miles away, so it's not just a stroll down the street; if it was that simple I'd know already. I will gladly share the results as soon as I have the opportunity to try them on. In the meantime I just thought I'd make a casual inquiry while waiting.

I have updated my original post with additional information on wheel width and brake calipers.

Thanks again.
Cheers, Ken
1962 Convertible
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

More information is better. It would also help to get pics of what you have with the wheels off:

Your original post re: disc brake ID:

https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... 28#p111228

You'll need to get measurements of what you have:

Caliper-Rotor Dimensions
Caliper-Rotor Dimensions
Disc Brake Measurements
Disc Brake Measurements
Wheel Clearance Measuremennts
Wheel Clearance Measuremennts
Determining Vehicle Fitment
Determining Vehicle Fitment
Wheel Measurements
Wheel Measurements
Wheel Section - Terminology
Wheel Section - Terminology
Wheel Terminology
Wheel Terminology

Not shown above are the dimensions and clearances of suspension arms (upper and lower), springs, shock absorbers, and from the inner and outer fenders. Those dimensions are critical in order to avoid having the rim and tires interfere or rub on the suspension components. I suggest getting a piece of cardboard, then place it on the ground under where the wheel well is. With a plumb bob, long straight edge and a pencil, make marks/notes and write down your measurements. Use the section drawings at the bottom to "fill in the blanks."

This sketch (which I found on the Hokey Assed Message Board (HAMB)) shows the difference between rims set up for drums vs disc brakes - pay attention to the rim profile and how if drops further inboard on the drum-style rim vs the profile of the disc-type rim.
Drum vs Disc Brake Rim Profiles
Drum vs Disc Brake Rim Profiles

For comparison, here's what a stock '62-'63 T-bird 14-inch wheel looks like. Note the drop in the rim on the inboard side - this is what creates interefence problems with disc brake calipers:
62-63 T-bird Wheel
62-63 T-bird Wheel

This is what a stock '65-'67 T-bird/full-size Ford 15-inch wheel with Kelsey-Hayes disc brake wheels looks like in section. See how the center drop is closer to the wheel mounting face so that it can clear the caliper:
65-67 T-bird Wheel
65-67 T-bird Wheel

This section drawing shows the '65-'67 disc brake wheel and the Kelsely-Hayes caliper and rotor used on '65-'67 T-birds - add dimensions to determine what you have:
Front Hub-Wheelhouse - Disc Brakes-Rotors
Front Hub-Wheelhouse - Disc Brakes-Rotors

Section drawing through rear wheelhouse showing face of brake drum/wheel mounting surface, rear axle flange and leaf springs- add dimensions to determine what you have for clearances off of the mounting face and fender lips/protrusions:
Rear Axle-Wheelhouse
Rear Axle-Wheelhouse
I STRONGLY suggest you start taking measurements in order to start piecing together what's been installed and what you've got to work with.
Or, start making friends with a local mechanic or tire-wheel specialty house and a person who knows the ins and outs of fitting aftermarket wheels on older cars with disc brake conversions. PLEASE share your measurements and what you find out.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Hasl3r

Post by Hasl3r »

Thank you for the add. I am after basically the same info. My variation is will will 18" rear wheel, 9 & 1/2" rims with 5 & 1/2" back space fit in stock 1963 TBird. Drum brakes & no spats to be used. Cannot go and measure as Car is in storage in New Zealand, and have been offered great deal on some Ridler 695's, Rear tyres likely to be 245/50.

18" x 8" rims for front. 225/60?
Will the 5 & 1/2" Backspace work, has anyone fitted them?

Cheers
John
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Hasl3r wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:32 am Thank you for the add. I am after basically the same info. My variation is will will 18" rear wheel, 9 & 1/2" rims with 5 & 1/2" back space fit in stock 1963 TBird. Drum brakes & no spats to be used. Cannot go and measure as Car is in storage in New Zealand, and have been offered great deal on some Ridler 695's, Rear tyres likely to be 245/50.

18" x 8" rims for front. 225/60?
Will the 5 & 1/2" Backspace work, has anyone fitted them?

Cheers
John
Ever hear of the term "Pro Street"? It's a style that was popular in the '80s-'90s in which the rear wheel wells were widened ("tubbed" was a popular term) to allow for really wide wheels and tires. I think you're really pushing the limits of the stock wells with nearly 10-inch wide overall widths. Narrowed rear axle/differential assemblies usually were part of the deal, too. As for fronts, I think you're getting into a width that will rub suspension components and affect turning radius.

AGAIN, how about somebody stepping up and posting the measurements I've been requesting since topics like this first started popping up to address these questions?
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Hasl3r

Post by Hasl3r »

Thank you for your prompt response Alan. I had suspected 5 & 1/2" Backspace was a bit much. I had based my front choice 18x8 c/w 225 wide tyres on novanutcase actual fitment albeit 17x8. Will see if they wheel vendor will do a full set of 18x8 and just vary tyres.

I would have thought someone would have pushed boundaries for wheel/Tyre fitment but many seemed more focussed on spats and disc's. Could be a couple of years before I get back to New Zealand but will have a measure up and post what I find

Regards
John
Hasl3r

Post by Hasl3r »

Have now fitted 18 x 8 riddler with 225/55 on front and 235/55 on back.
tbird wheels 3.jpg