Headers -Again

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

GeorgeG

Headers -Again

Post by GeorgeG »

OK, I've read virtually all the posts here about headers and the problems/solutions with them. So, one last time, other than Sanderson and FPA, does anybody know of another company that makes headers for our 'Birds?

George
George
VTCI #9586
Early '61 hardtop: 4-wheel discs, C6 trans, 390 HP, coil over shocks, tach, LED lights....in family since new
'75 Porsche 914 1.8 FI upgraded to 2.0 specs
Alan H. Tast

Re: Headers -Again

Post by Alan H. Tast »

No.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
kbuhagiar

Post by kbuhagiar »

Just curious...

Combined with a less-restrictive dual exhaust system, are they worth the effort on an otherwise stock engine?

Sanderson is just a couple of blocks from me, so I could save on shipping... :mrgreen:
Cheers, Ken
1962 Convertible
1966 Q-code Landau Coupe (sold)
1990 SuperCoupe 5-speed (sold)
GeorgeG

Post by GeorgeG »

Ken. My engine is being modified and I'll have it out of the car. Just checking in case one of the stock log manifolds ends up cracked. Cost of replacing the stock manifolds is about what headers cost, and I understand the headers are good for several extra HP. Plus I just like the way headers look, if I can get them to fit.

George
George
VTCI #9586
Early '61 hardtop: 4-wheel discs, C6 trans, 390 HP, coil over shocks, tach, LED lights....in family since new
El Leon

Post by El Leon »

FPA was down the street from me. They said they have slightly different builds for each year of the bullet bird.

Aside from sounding fantastic and freeing up ~8-10 hp, they will also make it easy to remove spark plugs and also diagnose exhaust leaks as they are also made for easy access with a ratchet or box end wrench. Quality products coming out of those guys!

I had to put in one smalls him on the passenger side to avoid rubbing, that was the only fitment issue.

Also had a divorced dual exhaust with 18" glass packs mounted at different spots but as far forward as possible built to go with the headers. It sounds downright mean, nothing you would confuse with a concourse T-bird.
Stirling Moss once said “There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love.”

But then Albert Einstein replied, “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”
GeorgeG

Post by GeorgeG »

Good info and a follow up to my previous posts. I've got the FPA headers sitting on my bench waiting for my engine to get back from Brent Lykins at Lykins Motorsports. Engine is bored .030 over and he's putting in a roller cam, custom rockers, bigger valves and other neat goodies to get 25% or so more power while keeping the engine outwardly stock. Keeps the block and heads numbers matching. I'm also installing an original Ford 390 HP aluminum intake manifold to replace the 100 lb iron monster that came stock. Probably have to think about a bigger carb too.

Question for you. Can yut put the headers on and torque the header bolts after the engine is installed? That's virtually impossible with the stock iron manifolds. I was planning to hook up the headers before installing everything, but with the tight engine compartment, if I can do the install without the headers it would make the engine install easier.I have a bunch of spacers handy.
George
VTCI #9586
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

You already know my vote I think, George. Stan at FPA would agree. No, we would say. Even as tight as it is, you’ll be happy you put the headers on before installing the engine.
That said, if I were pulling the heads, say for valve work, the headers MIGHT come out with the heads without pulling the engine.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
GeorgeG

Post by GeorgeG »

Thanks Bill. And yes, that's the way I'm headed. Using my engine hoist in combination with my four post lift, I'm hoping to install everything at once: engine with headers and the trans. There should be just enough room to the ceiling in my garage. I'll just need a few fearless helpers and lots of padding......and maybe a few shims on the motor mounts for the headers to clear the shock towers. If I run into problems, we can always install the trans separately.
George
VTCI #9586