AC upgrade for 61-63 TBird?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

kbuhagiar

AC upgrade for 61-63 TBird?

Post by kbuhagiar »

Hello Folks,

The heater core on my new (to me) 1962 Tbird will need replacing (it leaks and is currently bypassed), so I am considering upgrading to AC.

I've used Vintage Air on all my other project cars, but they don't have anything ready-made for the 61-63 Birds.

Has anyone here had any experience with aftermarket AC upgrades? If so, which vendor did you use?
Or should I consider using factory parts for this, and if so, how hard would it be to scrounge up the necessary components?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers, Ken
1962 Convertible
1966 Q-code Landau Coupe (sold)
1990 SuperCoupe 5-speed (sold)
bbogue

Re: AC upgrade for 61-63 TBird?

Post by bbogue »

What about these guys?
https://www.classicautoair.com

I don’t know a thing about ‘em. I don’t even have A/C on my 61. But I saw your post and was curious. Maybe someone who has used this kit will chime in.

Best wishes.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
kbuhagiar

Post by kbuhagiar »

bbogue wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:02 pm What about these guys?
https://www.classicautoair.com

I don’t know a thing about ‘em. I don’t even have A/C on my 61. But I saw your post and was curious. Maybe someone who has used this kit will chime in.

Best wishes.

Bill
Thanks Bill!

I actually stumbled across them last night while browsing.
I downloaded and read the instructions for the kit, seems to be pretty well thought out and put together, but I would really like to hear from someone who has done this installation. Pricing seems to be in line with everything else on the market, too.
Cheers, Ken
1962 Convertible
1966 Q-code Landau Coupe (sold)
1990 SuperCoupe 5-speed (sold)
El Leon

Post by El Leon »

For my leaky AC compressor, I found these guys and they have answered a few questions with what were thoughtful and helpful answers.

When it comes time to replace the system (as it leaks and can't hold a charge), this was the rout that I was going to go.... Unless I could find the leak, but so far I haven't found anything to help with that and I know nothing about AC systems.

https://www.originalair.com/61-65-thund ... gKGl_D_BwE
Stirling Moss once said “There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love.”

But then Albert Einstein replied, “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

If your familiar with the Vintage Air then I would use that. I just dropped a Gen2 Compact in my 64.