1962 Thunderbird Disc Conversion Identification

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

falcon64

1962 Thunderbird Disc Conversion Identification

Post by falcon64 »

Hi All,

I have a recently imported 1962 Tbird from the US to Australia. It came with a US disc conversion. Can anyone help me identify what the donor conversion may be from the attached photo? I know that the hub is 5mm larger than the original hub on the rear, with the drums of course.

Any direction would be great.

Thanks

David
Attachments
20190426_163038.jpg
truesteve

Re: 1962 Thunderbird Disc Conversion Identification

Post by truesteve »

Greetings from Spokane Washington,
It's very hard to identify whose conversion is installed from the photo. The rotor looks to be a universal type judging from the multiple mounting holes. The caliper looks to be the same as the ones offered by classic disc brakes. I have a conversion kit from classic disc brake and am trying to ascertain what caliper they used. After many hours of online research all I can come up with is it's either a later model T-Bird, a Granada/Torino, or a GM "metric". When I tried contacting the company (classic disc brakes) that I gave over $1200 to, I am told that any technical questions are answered ONLY by email. Apparently I am not worthy as the mere supplier of their income to speak to a human of their level.
If you had a photo of the caliper mounting plate that might help. I will try to get photos of my kit as it's not yet installed. I have already forgone the use of the vacuum booster for a hydroboost and the supplied master cylinder for a wilwood due to clearance issues. I thinking of upgrading the front calipers to multi piston wilwood units if I can determine what I am replacing aka..identify the calipers that came with the kit. Give me a couple of days to get more information as the wife has me building a pig pen at this time...
FORD 61 bulletbird white/green Resto mod project
FORD 63 bulletbird white/red - parts for sale
FORD 85 F350 4x4 Diesel Turbo Dually/Crew
FORD 76 F250 4x4 highboy
FORD 48 8N Tractor work horse
truesteve

Re: 1962 Thunderbird Disc Conversion Identification

Post by truesteve »

David, Got a little info & a couple of photos. I'm not sure it will help you, but it's all I got;
My disc conversion kit is from classic disc brakes out of Texas (I think). I DO NOT recommend this company.
First photo is of the brackets that came with my kit there are a quantity of 2 of each of the brackets in the photo. I'm sorry I can't look at the directions and tell you where they go...oh yea that's because the company doesn't supply directions!
brake brackets.jpg
The next 2 photos are of the calipers. The cadmium plated ones are the rears and they are from 87 - 92 Cougar, 88 - 92 Lincoln Continental, or a 93 Mustang.
The fronts are GM metric calipers used on the various GM models from 82 - 88; Chevy Cavalier, Beretta, GT, GT2, Z26, Cadet, Z24, Corsica. BUICK Skyhawk, Skylark, Special, S/W, Somerset Limited, Regal. CADILLAC Cimarron, And OLDSMOBILE Cutlass, Calais, Firenza. None of this information came from the supplier of the conversion kit, because they won't speak to the level of human that pays their bills, all or any tech questions will only be answered by email, when they feel like it.
back sides of calipers.jpg
front sides of calipers.jpg
I hope this information helps, and if nothing else, it may give you hope that with some research, you can determine what you have and how to get replacement details.
FORD 61 bulletbird white/green Resto mod project
FORD 63 bulletbird white/red - parts for sale
FORD 85 F350 4x4 Diesel Turbo Dually/Crew
FORD 76 F250 4x4 highboy
FORD 48 8N Tractor work horse