Repeated Ignition Coil Failures

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

bbogue

Repeated Ignition Coil Failures

Post by bbogue » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:10 am

My 61, with mildly modified engine goes through about a coil per year. The symptoms are usually loss of power and occasional misfires. I have the Pertronix Ignitor 1 in the distributor and oil-filled Flamethrower coil, both wired with 12 volts. I’ve tried the MSD Blaster 2 coil as well, with a resistor. Both coil types have been found to be out of spec (primary and/or secondary resistance) after failure. Of note, even new coils have been found out of spec. Maybe a quality issue. My car does not have A/C and the coil bracket is attached to the front of the driver side engine head. The engine vibrates a little. My current plan is to try another Flamethrower coil, epoxy filled against vibration, and install a 3”X5” heat shield made of several layers of heat barrier material between the bracket and head with a nylon washer under the bracket bolt head. If this doesn’t improve my luck with coils, I’ll move it to a different location, off the engine. Wires are new, Taylor 10mm spiral wires. Engine grounds are multiple and good.
Comments and ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Bill
VTCI# 12145
1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic
Music...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-qNF ... zQ5c09UdEE

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers

RedBird64

Re: Repeated Ignition Coil Failures

Post by RedBird64 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:12 pm

I had them fail until I found out that a standard coil needs to be mounted upright and preferably off the eng.
So I moved up to a MSD "High Vibration" coil, which is still mounted on the eng. It's epoxy filled so nothing can move around in it and fail. So far, so good.

1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 41 years. It was my folks car before that (not orig owners). VTCI # 12013.

bbogue

Post by bbogue » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:58 pm

Redbird,
From your comments it sounds like I might be on the right track by going to an epoxy-filled coil. I’ll still install a heat shield. It can’t hurt.

Thanks.

Bill

P.S. - If the rest of your car is anything like the picture you posted of your engine bay, it’s a stunner!
VTCI# 12145
Music...

RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:08 pm

Thanks Bill, I appreciate the compliment!
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 41 years. It was my folks car before that (not orig owners). VTCI # 12013.

bbogue

Post by bbogue » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:31 am

Update.
My recent misfire issue resolved itself after I replaced a cracked fairly new spark plug boot and decarbed the engine with Seafoam. The decarb was done when a cylinder was found to be 10% less in compression than the rest and also failed a leakdown test. I could hear air at the oil fill tube during the test which means rings broken or gummed up with carbon. I’m hoping for the latter. My engine had little use and no highway use for 6 months of this year which may have been the cause. Repeated decarbs with Seafoam, which I have used successfully on 2-stroke outboards, and a few 50+ mile trips I hope will be the cure. It runs pretty well. I’m not sure if the cracked boot or glowing carbon caused the misfire. I still plan to tweak the ignition by upgrading to Ignitor 2 module and epoxy coil.

Bill
VTCI# 12145
Music...