Electric Fuel Pump

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

GeorgeG

Electric Fuel Pump

Post by GeorgeG »

I'm looking to replace my stock fuel pump with an electric one. Engine is a stock 390 with a QuickFuel Slayer 600cfm carb. Any recommendations or installation advice? Thanks.

George
Early '61 slowly going back together...in family since new: my project
'75 Porsche 914 1.8 FI upgraded to 2.0 specs: my toy

saenzm

Re: Electric Fuel Pump

Post by saenzm »

Hi George,
I eliminated my vapor lock by converting to an electric in-line fuel pump with a return line. I also added a fuel pump relay with On/Off controller. Not too difficult and was inexpensive. I have a Summit 600 carb and the pump is closer to the tank positioned below it. These are the items i used (in addition to fittings and fuel line):

Carter P60430 In-Line Electric Fuel Pump

REV12003 12v Electric Fuel Pump Relay On/Off Controller Safety Switch 3 Sec Key On Primer

Holley 12-887 Regulator

I used these for the return line into the tank:

Gates 27093 5/16" Submersible Fuel Line for In tank Use SAE 30R10 - 1-Foot

Fuel Elbow 5/16" - 90 Degree Tank Fitting Metal with Rubber Grommet 2105-1000
-migs

1962 Hardtop ...perpetual WIP

GeorgeG

Post by GeorgeG »

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. Now I just need to decide whether to do the mod or not.

George

Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

I seldom drive my cars, and I would suggest doing it. I have done so on my 57 but not the 63SR. I just turn it on for 5 seconds or so to fill the carb then the car starts very quickly. I turn it off and use the mechanical pump. On my 63 I fill the carb through the vents before starting, effective but a bit of a pain to do. Your car, your choice, no right or wrong answer.
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. J F K

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink

GeorgeG

Post by GeorgeG »

Thanks Joe. Something to think about; however, my plan was to replace the mechanical fuel pump with an electric one wired through the ignition switch. That would give me the benefit of improved starts after sitting for a while plus more consistent fuel pressure throughout the rpm range. Still mulling all this over.

George