Drivers seat position

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

TommyRay

Drivers seat position

Post by TommyRay » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:23 am

Happy Thanksgiving to all whom it applies..! Question: I have a new to me 1963 coupe....WHY is the drivers that so close to the wheel? My seat appears to be back as far at it will go and I still have no room. Before I unbolt the seat and move it back...is this normal? Electrics work fine so I have no reason to not believe it is back as far as it is made to go.

Thanks in advance...

krave

Re: Drivers seat position

Post by krave » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:47 pm

sounds normal to me...I have the same issue

TommyRay

Post by TommyRay » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:59 pm

No moving it back...rekon I will have to retro a new steering wheel if it bothers me too much.

GeorgeG

Post by GeorgeG » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:39 am

The seat attaches to the floor with four bolts. You might be able to drill four new holes in the floor a couple of inches rearward and move the seat back, but then you'd have virtually no legroom in the rear. You'd also have to plug and seal the original holes. Not sure if there's a cross brace in the floor that would get in the way though.

George
Early '61 slowly going back together...in family since new: my project
'75 Porsche 914 1.8 FI upgraded to 2.0 specs: my toy

ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:31 pm

That's the way the seat is mounted from Ford. Your right there is no room for the driver when life catches up with a few pounds in front. Remember people back then weren't that big. Some drivers have used a smaller steering wheel, and there is another solution. Not to offend this might be a way for one to lose weight. When I had my 61 bird I was heavier when I received my bird in January. I had a few months to work on a diet so I could comfortably drive it. And it worked.
It's the worst time of the year to think about losing weight due to the holidays, But there's a fresh start in January for those that live in the states that has snow, You can start on a health plan and there is a silver lining you'll feel better and by the spring you can fit behind the steering wheel .
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1997 Heritage Springer with Motorvation matching side Car Red/Birch White
VTCI Member # 12309

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:00 am

TommyRay wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:23 am
Happy Thanksgiving to all whom it applies..! Question: I have a new to me 1963 coupe....WHY is the drivers that so close to the wheel? My seat appears to be back as far at it will go and I still have no room. Before I unbolt the seat and move it back...is this normal? Electrics work fine so I have no reason to not believe it is back as far as it is made to go.

Thanks in advance...
I am 6 foot and had the same issue with seat being to close with my 65..I drilled 4 new holes in floor and moved seat back. It is now very comfy. Now no one can sit in the rear behind me which I dont care...I dont know about your year but with 65 the seat track sits on a small platform. The rear 2 bolts after moving back will sit off the platform. What I did is take a piece of 1/2 inch electric conduit and made a sleeve over the bolt so the track doesnt squeeze down..Hope I am being clear..Also spray painted it chrome not that it can be seen...Good luck
As far as losing weight that is not the issue,seat is just to close for tall people..
1965 Hardtop Charcoal Gray Metallic
VTCI#12157