Old Bird, New Build

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

truesteve

Re: Old Bird, New Build

Post by truesteve »

Not much progress on the Bird as I'm still fabricating the tow-able pig pen for the wife. I did do some research on my brake calipers and discovered that I have front GM metric calipers from 82 to 88 assorted GM products. And rear 87 to 93 FoMoCo from Cougar, Lincoln, Mustang. I obtained this information by reading the numbers on the brake pads (only readable when pads are new and have not saw any heat) and then doing an internet search on brake pads with those numbers. Then once I got a hit on which car those pads may be for, I typed that description into the search engine and pulled up images of the calipers belonging to that car then I compared the images I had of my calipers.
back sides of calipers.jpg
front sides of calipers.jpg
Armed with this information I can look into ordering wilwood multi piston replacements for the fronts, because the thought of using Chevy Cavalier brakes on my beloved T-Bird gives me the creeps.
FORD 61 bulletbird white/green Resto mod project
FORD 63 bulletbird white/red - parts for sale
FORD 85 F350 4x4 Diesel Turbo Dually/Crew
FORD 76 F250 4x4 highboy
FORD 48 8N Tractor work horse
El Leon

Re: Old Bird, New Build

Post by El Leon »

I'm really enjoying tracking your build and you're emotional investment into this project is fantastic!

You clearly state you aren't a pro welder but aim for proper penetration, well, you gotta weld with the stick you got, just get as much penetration as you can. She's going to be so happy to have extra cooling!

I went with the spendy brass 4-core radiator which lasted all of 50 miles before a telephone randomly took it out. Shame, what a waste of $$$.
Stirling Moss once said “There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love.”

But then Albert Einstein replied, “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”