55 spare tire well

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

JimCunn

55 spare tire well

Post by JimCunn »

Is it feasible to either install a modified 52-54 Ford well in a 55 T-Bird, or alternatively just custom build a fiberglass well? It would have to be deeper than a 57 well, but I don't know yet how much.
The fiberglass well construction would be easy.
194_FORD_SPARE TIRE WELL-600x600.JPEG.jpg
ICON 1956

Re: 55 spare tire well

Post by ICON 1956 »

Are you thinking of cutting into the trunk to utilize the shell for a spare tire to sit up right? did you check were and if the frame gas tank might be in the way? I'm sure the engineers from Ford would have thought of this, May be that's why the 57 thunderbird was a foot longer and had the room for the spare tire well.....
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
JimCunn

Post by JimCunn »

"Are you thinking of cutting into the trunk to utilize the shell for a spare tire to sit up right?"

YES, MORE OR LESS UPRIGHT, THOUGH THE SHELL WILL REQUIRE SOME MODS. I'M NOT SHOUTING WITH THESE CAPS - JUST MAKING THE RESPONSE STAND OUT VISUALLY FROM THE QUOTES :-)

"did you check were and if the frame gas tank might be in the way?"

YES.

"I'm sure the engineers from Ford would have thought of this,"

THEY DID, BUT I DON'T THINK THEY CONSDERED DONUT SPARES.

"May be that's why the 57 thunderbird was a foot longer and had the room for the spare tire well....."

IT IS (AND ALSO THE RESHAPED 57 DECK LID TO ADD VERTICAL CLEARANCE AS WELL), BUT THAT CAT CAN PROBABLY BE SKINNED IN MORE THAN ONE WAY. IF IT CAN'T, I'M ONLY OUT 150 BUCKS, SO NO BIG DEAL... I'LL KNOW MORE WHEN I GET THE SHELL AND DONUT IN HAND.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

It seems your going through a lot of work to cut into the back pans of the trunk. I'm sure you have chosen the area were to cut into, and have enough clearance for the trunk lid to close properly... Is the gas tank going to be moved? The donut idea came into the 80's when cars were getting smaller and the big three wanted to save money on smaller solutions. I hope you succeed in your plan. If you can take a few pictures to show the forum how it is done. Good Luck......
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
JimCunn

Post by JimCunn »

"It seems your going through a lot of work to cut into the back pans of the trunk".

SEEMS PRETTY MINOR TO ME, AND NEEDLESS TO SAY, THE FIRST THING TO DO BEFORE CUTTING INTO ANYTHING IS TO MOCK UP A DONUT SPARE IN FOAM AND MASONITE. THE FOAM SPARE CAN BE SLICED TO ASSURE THE TOP PORTION WILL FIT WITHIN THE CLOSED TRUNK WHILE THE BOTTOM PORTION ASSURES CLEARANCE ON THE BOTTOM SIDE OF THE TRUNK FLOOR. THIS HAPPENS BEFORE ANYTHING BUT FOAM IS CUT. IF IT FITS, PROCEED - IF IT DOESN'T, PUNT.

"I'm sure you have chosen the area were to cut into,"

I WILL MAKE THAT CHOICE BEFORE CUTTING ANYTHING. RIGHT NOW, THERE ARE STILL A COUPLE OF POTENTIAL LOCATIONS.

"and have enough clearance for the trunk lid to close properly..."

IF THERE ISN'T, THEN I WON'T MAKE THE CUT.

"Is the gas tank going to be moved?"

THERE'S NO NEED TO MOVE IT, IT ISN'T IN THE WAY.

"The donut idea came into the 80's when cars were getting smaller and the big three wanted to save money on smaller solutions".

YEAH, I REMEMBER THAT; THE EIGHTIES ARE FAIRLY RECENT HISTORY FOR ME. I STILL REMEMBER FALLING IN LOVE WITH 55 BIRDS WHEN I FIRST SAW A NEW ONE ON THE SHOWROOM FLOOR. BUT IT WAS TEN YEARS LATER BEFORE I BOUGHT THIS ONE.

"I hope you succeed in your plan".

ME TOO, BUT IF I DON'T, I'LL NEVER MAKE THE FIRST CUT IN THE TRUNK FLOOR - IT IS EITHER SUCCEED, OR DON'T DO IT. I APPRECIATE THE THOUGHT, THANKS.

"If you can take a few pictures to show the forum how it is done".

I WILL.
I HAVEN'T CHOSEN A DONUT YET. ANY SUGGESTIONS ABOUT WHICH ARE MOST SUITED?
JimCunn

Post by JimCunn »

I just bought a spare from a 2005 Ford 500 T135/90d17 (tire diameter 26.6 inches).
Wish me luck on the fit.
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

JimCunn wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:45 pm I just bought a spare from a 2005 Ford 500 T135/90d17 (tire diameter 26.6 inches).
Wish me luck on the fit.
I think you'll find that trying to adapt a spare tire well into a '55-'56 trunk to fit the tire vertically could result in the bottom of the well being below the 'scrub line' of the chassis. 26.6 inches for a spare doesn't sound that much smaller than the stock wheel/tire configuration. For comparison, here's the overall diameters for OEM bias-ply tires:
'55-'56 - 6.70-15 - 27" Diameter
'57 - 7.50-14 - 27.5" Diameter

Radial versions that cross with the OEM tires listed above:
'55-'56 - P205/75R15 - 27.1" Diameter
'57 - P205/75R14 - 27.1" Diameter

Remember, also, that Ford had to lengthen the trunk 4-inches to fit a vertical-mounted spare for the '57 T-bird, along with the aforementioned changes to the deck lid to raise the skin/inner structure up enough to clear the tire, which sat at a slight angle from vertical in order to squeeze it in.

You will want to take a measurement from the trunk floor pan to the bottom side of the trunk lid sill on the quarter panels, then try to figure out how much more height you can gain between the bottom of the trunk lid structure and the skin of the trunk lid, and allow 1/2"-1" for space between the deck lid and the tire: add those up, and subtract from the overall diameter of the spare you're planning on using.

Now, also ask yourself these questions:
1. Are you looking for a compact temporary spare or a temporary folding spare tire? (BIG difference)
2. Just how small of a space-saver spare can you run without running the risk of the car's suspension hitting something?
3. Will you have a compressor or other device in the car to inflate a temporary folding spare tire?

Can someone PLEASE post what the overall outside diameter of a modern space-saver spare that's commonly recommended for comparison? I'm seeing 23.9" and 24.9" for the smaller sizes, and jumping up to 26-27" and larger for temporary spare tires with a width of around 5-inches or slightly less. The OEM tires were about 5-1/2"-6" wide if I remember correctly (OEM wheels were 5-inches wide at the tire mounting bead).
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
JimCunn

Post by JimCunn »

"I think you'll find that trying to adapt a spare tire well into a '55-'56 trunk to fit the tire vertically could result in the bottom of the well being below the 'scrub line' of the chassis".

It could, however that is one of the things I intended to check in AutoCad prior to construction. It is one of the potential deal killers.

"26.6 inches for a spare doesn't sound that much smaller than the stock wheel/tire configuration".

It isn't. That was a deliberate choice because I will be running an Auburn 2.5 limited slip differential, so I don't want a large difference (minimizing Auburn cone damage).

"For Radial versions that cross with the OEM tires listed above:
'55-'56 - P205/75R15 - 27.1" Diameter"

Yes, I'm planning to run P20570R15. Width 5.8", dia 26.3"
Might also consider a P21570R15. Width 6.0", dia 26.9" (might have to build a set of skirts to clear that tire).

"Remember, also, that Ford had to lengthen the trunk 4-inches to fit a vertical-mounted spare for the '57 T-bird, along with the aforementioned changes to the deck lid to raise the skin/inner structure up enough to clear the tire, which sat at a slight angle from vertical in order to squeeze it in".

Yes, I know. I first noticed that a little over sixty years ago (I've owned this car for fifty-five) :-)

"You will want to take a measurement from the trunk floor pan to the bottom side of the trunk lid sill on the quarter panels, then try to figure out how much more height you can gain between the bottom of the trunk lid structure and the skin of the trunk lid, and allow 1/2"-1" for space between the deck lid and the tire".

Yup, that's more or less my plan. This is the sort of thing I do professionally, but that doesn't mean I can't make a mistake.

"add those up, and subtract from the overall diameter of the spare you're planning on using".

I was actually planning to do a somewhat more complex computer model first.

"Now, also ask yourself these questions:
1. Are you looking for a compact temporary spare or a temporary folding spare tire? (BIG difference)"

Already done that - compact temporary spare, so all I'm gaining is a slight reduction in width and an inconsequential change in diameter.

"2. Just how small of a space-saver spare can you run without running the risk of the car's suspension hitting something?"

The Auburn is actually the restriction. Since the cones can't be overhauled, I don't want to wear them out prematurely.

"3. Will you have a compressor or other device in the car to inflate a temporary folding spare tire?"

No, because I don't plan to use a folding spare (the Auburn restriction).

"Can someone PLEASE post what the overall outside diameter of a modern space-saver spare that's commonly recommended for comparison? I'm seeing 23.9" and 24.9" for the smaller sizes,"

I'm leery of forcing the Auburn to overrun to that extent.

"and jumping up to 26-27" and larger for temporary spare tires with a width of around 5-inches or slightly less."

Supposedly about 4 inches, but I won't really know till it arrives later this week.

"The OEM tires were about 5-1/2"-6" wide if I remember correctly (OEM wheels were 5-inches wide at the tire mounting bead)".

That's pretty close. That shell will be narrowed up, cocked, and extended in height before installation, but I don't know yet by how much. Needless to say, if the computer model shows it won't fit then I won't do the install. I have to have the shell and spare in hand before I can make that determination. They are due to arrive later this week.

How much do you think I could force the Auburn to overrun without destroying it?
JimCunn

Post by JimCunn »

Spare and wheel well arrived today. Widest part of the donut is 5.4 inches, and the well is quite a bit oversized both in width and length, and could be downsized considerably. I haven't measured any other dimensions yet, but it looks promising at first glance.

It occurs to me that even if the tire won't fit, I might be able to install the well pretty much as is and use it for jack storage, oil, brake fluid, etc. Now to check frame, axle, scrubline, exhaust, trunk hinge, and deck lid clearance.
JimCunn

Post by JimCunn »

Initial preliminary measurements. Unmodified, the tire well will extend 9.625" below the trunk floor. That is 2.0 inches below the bottom of the fuel tank.
The top of the spare would be 16.625" above the floor. Tomorrow, I will check the actual clearance (if any), and also check the scrub line. Next concern is exhaust interference.
JimCunn

Post by JimCunn »

Been distracted by work. Will be getting back on this in a couple of weeks.

Coker wire rims arrived yesterday.