55 master Cylinder Question

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

gmsnowball

55 master Cylinder Question

Post by gmsnowball »

New to the forum and new owner of a 55 T Bird. Anyone seen a 55 master cylinder that is rectangular in shape with two brake lines coming out of the master cylinder? Looks like it has two pistons or ports in the master cylinder. I can't find anything that looks like it on the T Bird sites. The car has been in dry covered storage for over 30 years and of course the master cylinder was dry as a bone. It has a rectangular lid that has a long bolt that holds the cap on. I had to remove the drivers side hood latch to get the cap off. It also has 56 side wings and what I believe to be a 312 with a big Holley carb on it. It clearly has a 312 intake and exhaust manifolds but I will have to see the crank to find out if it has a notch in it to determine if it is really a 312 or not. I must admit the master cylinder has me stumped. Might just put a 67 Mustang dual bowl on it like I did my Comets and Ranchero's. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_1565.JPG
paul2748

Re: 55 master Cylinder Question

Post by paul2748 »

That looks like a master cylinder that is used for two purposes - one side for brakes and the other for a hydraulic clutch. I believe Chevvy trucks used in in the 50's. The hot rodders used these.

Definitely not a Tbird part
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
gmsnowball

Re: 55 master Cylinder Question

Post by gmsnowball »

You are correct, I was informed it is a master and clutch cylinder from a 1961 International Travelall. I would have never guessed the Bird had a hydraulic clutch. Although a little high due to their rarity the master cylinder is available. That explains why the clutch went to the floor when I pushed the pedal, the master cylinder had no fluid. Now, what to do, keep it as is, take it back to stock or upgrade to a Mustang dual bowl or Willwood disc set up? This car has several other modifications and upgrades not found on 55 Birds as well as a very colorful past. Learning more every day.

Thanks