Drop Spindles

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

ROYCEO

Drop Spindles

Post by ROYCEO »

Does anyone have a source for drop spindles that fit a 55 Bird? I haven't been able to locate anything. The previous owner of my car replaced the front springs and it sits too high. I don't care for the "gasser" look. Thanks, Royce
Attachments
177477-1955-ford-thunderbird-std.jpg
TNcoupe

Re: Drop Spindles

Post by TNcoupe »

Is it original Y block engine?
ranchbird

Post by ranchbird »

Fatman fab makes dropped spindles there petty spendy $575 then you need 75-80 Granada rotors and 75-80 camaro calipers,and you would need to change the master cylinder to a dual reservoir, another option would be Jamco suspenions they don't sell spindles, but they have complete kits to lower front and back or individual components like in your case front lowering springs that come with matching shocks. A buddy bought some for his 56 ford to lower the front 3" and is very happy with them.
TNcoupe

Post by TNcoupe »

That's where I was headed with it. I put the Ford Aerostar rear springs in the front of my 55 T bird and they are about 3 coils shorter but have equivalent spring rate. I also shed some weight off the front by pulling the Y block and swapping to an aluminum top end 302 with a C4 which helps the new front springs too.
ROYCEO

Post by ROYCEO »

Thanks for the info gentlemen. Everything is factory stock on this car except for the wheels and tires, 12 volt conversion, and change to alternator from stock generator. I think I will probably shorten the springs I have on it now. I just spent a ton of money rebuilding the engine and the stock market isn't helping either. ::?
Royce
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

If you are going to shorten the springs you have, do not use a torch. Use a cut off wheel or some kind of saw
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Cutting the stocks springs to get the desired ride height will be a trial-and-error process. I doubt you will enjoy removing and replacing the springs multiple times to get it right, but maybe you have more patience and skills than I. I rapped a chain through and around the springs to avoid injury. They have been known to fly out. You can also use a spring compressor, but space is limited, and they are not 100% safe.

As it's been said, don't use a torch. They could loose their temper and turn to mush. I would stick the spring in a bucket of water and use a cut-off wheel. Removing a full coil should result in a 2" drop. I don't know that I would remove more than 1 full coil. Cutting the springs will also make them stiffer.
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

If you cut your coils, do not cut the end with the flat coil. I would only disassemble one side at a time.