Pusher fan

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

thundermax

Pusher fan

Post by thundermax »

Those of you that have installed a pusher fan of the front side of your radiator. What CFM and brand did you install? Thanks
paul2748

Re: Pusher fan

Post by paul2748 »

If you have a cooling problem, I would suggest you find out why. Radiator need cleaning?, block needs cleaning? Got a wide mouth thermostat? Timing OK? Vacuum advance working OK?
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
CSPIDY

Post by CSPIDY »

I installed dual 9 inch fans that really do a nice job when car is idling, used a 195 temp switch to kick them on. Also used a trianary switch with the air conditioning. I found them on amazon. Not sure about the CFM.
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA
thundermax

Post by thundermax »

Paul, It only heats up when I've driven it a good distance and I'm in stopped traffic for any length of time . Much like a very very slow moving parade after i get moving it cools down to normal. I have a new radiator and have had the entire system flushed. Thanks for the replies.
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

Based on brand reviews I read, I installed a Spal pusher fan on my 61. The biggest that would fit. I installed it with Spal brackets and relay kit. It is triggered manually by a switch in the dash. I had tried everything I could think of to cure my ‘Bird of overheating in hot weather traffic...increased timing, full manifold vacuum for vacuum advance, elimination of vacuum leaks, lower temp high flow tstat, high flow water pump, fan shroud and probably more I’ve forgotten. All helped a little. My radiator was new, 3 core high efficiency. I rarely use the fan but it helps on really hot days in traffic. Good luck.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
CSPIDY

Post by CSPIDY »

thundermax wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:24 pm Paul, It only heats up when I've driven it a good distance and I'm in stopped traffic for any length of time . Much like a very very slow moving parade after i get moving it cools down to normal. I have a new radiator and have had the entire system flushed. Thanks for the replies.
Have you replaced the water pump spacer? There is one that is modified to help with flow at idle rpm.
This will help your situation. I posted it on this sight, do a search for water pump spacer. In the mean time I will try and find it for you as well.
The other item that helps the most is an aluminum rad. Best bang for the buck.
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA
ellevee

Post by ellevee »

I was looking that a puller fan is better so it doesn’t interrupt airflow at highway speeds. Any truth to that. I’m looking at getting a single 16”
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

If you go to a fan website like Spal’s, I think you’ll see that pullers move more air than pushers of the same size. But a pusher in addition to the stock fan? Beats me. I’d suppose it would be more than the same size puller alone except at lower rpms. And, a pusher fan can be almost hidden but a puller will replace the stock fan and be more obvious. Good luck.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers