1955 Thunderbird Dual Master Cylinder Conversion

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Florida_Phil

1955 Thunderbird Dual Master Cylinder Conversion

Post by Florida_Phil »

I have converted a number of old Fords from single to dual drum master cylinder brakes. This will be my first early TBird. As I recall, a 1967-69 Mustang drum brake dual master cylinder bolts right in. I did not have a problem with the brake push rod length on the 57 Ford Custom I converted a few years back. Anyone here know if the 55 Tbird conversion will require a different length brake push rod?
Alan H. Tast

Re: 1955 Thunderbird Dual Master Cylinder Conversion

Post by Alan H. Tast »

You'll have better results if you post this in the modified portion of the Forum..

Moderator note: Agree and done! Thanks for calling it to my attention. J
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Florida_Phil

Post by Florida_Phil »

Here's a photo of my 55 TBird dual master cylinder conversion. The 67 Mustang master cylinder bolted right up with no issues. I ran the lines as you can see. The only problem is the heat shield for the battery will have to be slotted to clear the new brake lines.

Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

Banjo fittings will eliminate the need to modify the heat shield. Image
1532865096981649485228.jpg
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
Florida_Phil

Post by Florida_Phil »

Why didn't I think of that? Thanks! :smile:
gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

New to the forum and new owner of a 55 T Bird. Anyone seen a 55 master cylinder that is rectangular in shape with two brake lines coming out of the master cylinder? Looks like it has two pistons or ports in the master cylinder. I can't find anything that looks like it on the T Bird sites. The car has been in dry covered storage for over 30 years and of course the master cylinder was dry as a bone. It has a rectangular lid that has a long bolt that holds the cap on. I had to remove the drivers side hood latch to get the cap off. It also has 56 side wings and what I believe to be a 312 with a big Holley carb on it. It clearly has a 312 intake and exhaust manifolds but I will have to see the crank to find out if it has a notch in it to determine if it is really a 312 or not. I must admit the master cylinder has me stumped. Might just put a 67 Mustang dual bowl on it like I did my Comets and Ranchero's. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_1565.JPG