Four wheel disc brake questions

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

thessler

Four wheel disc brake questions

Post by thessler »

Hi
I'm looking to upgrade stopping power.
There is a kit from classic disk brakes that includes four wheel power disc , and move the battery to the trunk.
Does anyone have experience with this kit ?
I'm looking for a real good system capable of stopping like a modern car, any suggestions welcome.
Thank you, Tom
ICON 1956

Re: Four wheel disc brake questions

Post by ICON 1956 »

My car has disc brakes on the front and drums in the back, I did not have to relocate my battery,
pic50.jpg
front disk brake.JPG
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
ranchbird

Post by ranchbird »

I have manual 4 wheel disc brakes on my 56 work great, I prefer the feel without the booster and you can keep the battery in the stock location.
thessler

Post by thessler »

Without power how hard is it to stop ?
I have no experience with this, but from what I'm reading it's harder on the pedal with non power disc than with drum.
As it is I have four drums non power and my wife can't drive the car, due to stopping distance required. I need to improve that. Even when I drive it i need to lean on that pedal pretty hard to slow it down. A quick brake check in highway congestion would result in a crash.
Thanks for input, Tom
ranchbird

Post by ranchbird »

You would probably be fine with manual front disc and rear drum, that's what I have on my 57 ranchero and it stops fine without a lot of pressure, a 100% better than drums on all fours.
mike3121

Post by mike3121 »

I recently had it done; power 4 wheel disc brakes. My brother-in-laws has driven it a bit. He said at first, it was real tight and touchy when stopping. However, the more he drove it the better the brakes were. Battery was relocated to trunk to allow for power brake unit under the hood. I don't have access to my car now as the state shut down all unnecessary business. Car is locked inside shop for probably next 2 to 3 months.
List of what I had done:
Power 4 wheel disc brakes
all new exhaust
CASCO Improved Handling kit (heavy duty anti-sway bars and air shocks.
Electric wipers
"Start in park" installed
License plate light
15" Steering wheel repainted and installed
Front end rebuilt
Rear end seals and bearings replaced
Radio fixed
Tach cable replaced
Weather stripping on fender skirts
Car cost $21,000, shipping $ 1,000, registration and tax $ 2,400, recent repairs $ 11,000

Pending:
Weatherstripping on hardtop
Weatherstripping on doors
Convertible top frame rebuilt
New convertible top installed
Miner interior items fixed
Extensive rust on bottom of both door. Needs to be cut out and patch panel installed
touch up repaint where needed
D Code 1957 T-Bird, Starmist blue with Starmist blue & Dresden Blue interior.
1930 Chrysler Series 70 Roadster. Two tone green.
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Several years ago, I installed rear disc brakes on my 1988 Mustang 5.0. There was no appreciable improvement over the stock drums. I suppose there would have been less fade on a track, but not necessary on the street. Bragging rights? 80% of stopping power comes from the front brakes. I've converted to front discs and a dual-circuit reservoir on my 55. By the way, the 11" x 2" Tbird drums are larger than those that came on my 1988 Mustang, just make sure they are in good working order. I would, however, convert to automatic adjusters if anyone knows of a readily available conversion kit for the rear drums.

Thanks