Quotes

Offer suggestions for making this forum the one you want to visit every day! Maybe even twice a day!!
novanutcase

Quotes

Post by novanutcase »

Is there a way that when you quote someone in a thread that it displays the name of the person you're quoting more cleanly rather than how it does it now? I know that just eliminating the name of the quotee will make it prettier but if you can do that AND have the quotees name in their it would be much nicer.

I know it's petty but it's something that just bugs me everytime I have to quote someone!

John
Brian Harris

Re: Quotes

Post by Brian Harris »

[quote"novanutcase"]Is there a way that when you quote someone in a thread that it displays the name of the person you're quoting more cleanly rather than how it does it now? I know that just eliminating the name of the quotee will make it prettier but if you can do that AND have the quotees name in their it would be much nicer.

I know it's petty but it's something that just bugs me everytime I have to quote someone!

John[/quote]

I think it is as simple as hitting the "Quote" button upper right of the post to be quoted... then delete the "=" sign once the quoted text is automatically posted in your new post.

This is a test of my recolection, so lets see if it works.

Cheers... Brian
`55 Ford F-100 Pick-up
`57 D-Bird Restomod
`62 Thunderbird Roadster
`68 Mercedes 280SL Pagoda
Brian Harris

Post by Brian Harris »

Nope... that's not it. Ugh!!!

Will try again... Brian
`55 Ford F-100 Pick-up
`57 D-Bird Restomod
`62 Thunderbird Roadster
Brian Harris

Post by Brian Harris »

[quote=]Nope... that's not it. Ugh!!!

Will try again... Brian[/quote]

Deleting the " marks and name yields these results...

Hmmm!
`55 Ford F-100 Pick-up
`57 D-Bird Restomod
`62 Thunderbird Roadster
Brian Harris

Post by Brian Harris »

Brian Harris [quote=][quote=]Nope... that's not it. Ugh!!!

Will try again... Brian[/quote]

Deleting the " marks and name yields these results...

Hmmm![/quote]
`55 Ford F-100 Pick-up
`57 D-Bird Restomod
`62 Thunderbird Roadster
Brian Harris

Post by Brian Harris »

"novanutcase"
[quote=]Is there a way that when you quote someone in a thread that it displays the name of the person you're quoting more cleanly rather than how it does it now? I know that just eliminating the name of the quotee will make it prettier but if you can do that AND have the quotees name in their it would be much nicer.

John[/quote]

This is the closest I can get with only one cut/paste.

Cheers... Brian

PS: This exercise just boosted my post count... woo woo
`55 Ford F-100 Pick-up
`57 D-Bird Restomod
`62 Thunderbird Roadster
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

[Quote"novanutcase"]Is there a way that when you quote someone in a thread that it displays the name of the person you're quoting more cleanly rather than how it does it now? I know that just eliminating the name of the quotee will make it prettier but if you can do that AND have the quotees name in their it would be much nicer.

John[/quote]

the [quote"USERNAME"] insert message here [/quote] should work as its done like that in a few other posts on the board. something must be up with the programing.
http://www.per-race-engines.com
1996 Thunderbird LX
Mods
Stock is boring and useless!
Tbird100636

Post by Tbird100636 »

I noticed a long time ago this was a glitch. There is some sort of glitch that screws up the quote box BB code when a user name is provided. observe:
novanutcase wrote:Is there a way that when you quote someone in a thread that it displays the name of the person you're quoting more cleanly rather than how it does it now? I know that just eliminating the name of the quotee will make it prettier but if you can do that AND have the quotees name in their it would be much nicer.

John
What you need to do to get a quote box is delete the user name you quoted, the =, and the quotations. What you get is this:
Is there a way that when you quote someone in a thread that it displays the name of the person you're quoting more cleanly rather than how it does it now? I know that just eliminating the name of the quotee will make it prettier but if you can do that AND have the quotees name in their it would be much nicer.

John
You lose the user name, but it works. Normally the quote BB code doesn't include quotation marks, but for some reason on here it is. Regardless, removing them doesn't help. Ultimately the Admins need to fix this.

Why can't we have a better program like vBulletin 3 which is very reliable???
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- 390 FE 4V- Chantilly Beige- NEVER done, but beautiful as is.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- 390 FE 4V- Red (Originally Wimbledon White)- Hood installed and repaint coming... well... not sure when...
TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

You've got the right idea there - as you mentioned, delete the = (equal sign) and the " (quotation marks) on either end of the username, then just cut out the user name from inside of the brackets at the beginning of the quote, and paste just after the bracket. Then you have this (I also highlight the username in bold letters to make it stand out):
Tbird100636: I noticed a long time ago this was a glitch. There is some sort of glitch that screws up the quote box BB code when a user name is provided. observe:
novanutcase wrote:Is there a way that when you quote someone in a thread that it displays the name of the person you're quoting more cleanly rather than how it does it now? I know that just eliminating the name of the quotee will make it prettier but if you can do that AND have the quotees name in their it would be much nicer.

John
What you need to do to get a quote box is delete the user name you quoted, the =, and the quotations. What you get is this:

John
You lose the user name, but it works. Normally the quote BB code doesn't include quotation marks, but for some reason on here it is. Regardless, removing them doesn't help. Ultimately the Admins need to fix this.

Why can't we have a better program like vBulletin 3 which is very reliable???
~ Daniel
"I'm your huckleberry..."
VTCI #11333