Antenna Fender Finishing Bezel

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1990-97 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
mcm51

Antenna Fender Finishing Bezel

Post by mcm51 »

I replaced my antenna mast a couple weeks ago and broke my antenna bezel trying to remove it after being in there for 25 years no matter how easy I wiggled, rocked and tilted. it broke into 2 pcs. and with great glue(or I though so) I glued it back together and thought that was done until yesterday when I was having trouble w/ mast running up and down to discover most of my bezel was gone(out on the highway some were I suppose) and mast was hitting fender causing problems.......The reason why I'm posting, DO NOT break yours if you have to remove it, I played pure havic trying to find one when I thought of thunderbird super coupe shop, I've bought from then before, they have many hard to find parts for '89-'97 T-bird. they had my antenna bezel grade A used(last one, 5 sold) for $49.97, there was grade B & C also. So I took it and it's on it's way and my Bird will be complete once again. hated to pay so much BUT glad it was avail. in some form...............
'95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
'86 Mustang SVO 2.3 Turbocharged
'84 Mustang GT-350 5.0 H.O.
VTCI #12973
U.S. Army 194th Armor Ft. Knox, Ky. 1977
mcm51

Re: Antenna Fender Finishing Bezel

Post by mcm51 »

**UPDATE** Thought this was kinda weird when I noticed it the other day washing and drying my T-bird...When I installed that antenna finishing bezel a couple of years ago, it did not fit perfect like the o.e.m. one but about 90% as far as seating into the fender, but after paying so much for a nice clean piece of plastic bezel, when I installed it I did'nt want to get carried away with torque on pulling it down against the fender so I just put on what I thought would work....Now reason for posting update, the other day I noticed that bezel was sitting nice and perfect flush against the fender like brand new... I'm gonna guess that either Ford is using a little heat on that bezel during installation OR a couple years of this Florida heat allowed that bezel to slide in there nice and pretty..either way, my gain....
So any members messing with their power antenna and popping that finishing bezel out, if it does'nt sit back in there perfect, don't break it, try giving it some time or maybe try a hair dryer on it.....
Now it's making me wonder, if that bezel has slowly seated itself downward over time, makes me want to re-check the torque on the nut on the backside next time I have a chance to get that fender liner out of the way...........................
'95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
VTCI #12973
mcm51

Re: Antenna Fender Finishing Bezel

Post by mcm51 »

Over 2100 views, wow, I did'nt think a antenna bezel post would be so interesting, you would'nt even mess with that bezel unless your swapping out your power antenna assy. and I'm pretty sure that power antenna assy. is a tough creature to find nowadays(certainly in Motorcraft or Ford Service form) and I know theres no need for antenna bezels at the drag strip...
I'm pretty sure the 60s/70s T-birds had some power antennas so maybe a lot of the views are from early Bird members but if that's the case, I'm a little unclear as to how my MN-12 power antenna assy. and bezel set-up would be of help to those owners... I would think that the whole design in that area would have changed by the '90s, but maybe I'm wrong about that and if so, a early T-bird owner please correct me on that, I'd love to know...............
'95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
VTCI #12973