1996 Thunderbird shifter cable

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1990-97 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
gov2mod

1996 Thunderbird shifter cable

Post by gov2mod »

I've got a broken shifter cable on a 1996 Thunderbird, V-6 engine, automatic transmission with floor shifter. The cable has a Ford part number of F5SZ-7E395-AA. I"ve been looking for this cable for a couple of months. I've tried parts stores, Ford dealer, Ebay, Internet, etc. with no luck. Have any of you had this problem? The part number indicates a 1995 part (F5) but I've been told it is a 1996/1997 cable. Will an earlier cable fit with some modification? It's a shame this car has been sitting since early October just because of a cable. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
55Greg&Amy

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
gov2mod

Post by gov2mod »

Thanks, I'll contact them to see if any are still available. How did you find them? I've searched the Internet, Ebay, etc. for a couple of months. I searched with the Ford part number or for application for a 96 Thunderbird and wasn't getting any hits.
vince

Post by vince »

Where is the cable broken? If this is an eyelet type with a rubber center that has broken down, there is a fix for that.
'66 Convertible, 428, in progress
gov2mod

Post by gov2mod »

This cable is about 28" long and has a threaded stud on the shifter end. On the transmission end it has a ball fitting with a rubber boot between it and the cable housing. At the cable housing on the transmission end there is an angled bracked to bolt it to the transmission. The inner cable is not a braided or stranded cable but is a small flat steel cable that is wound very tightly as it is designed to push and pull. It is this inner cable that is broken a few inches from the shifter end.
gov2mod

Post by gov2mod »

I am still trying to locate this shifter cable, Ford part number F5SZ-7E395-AA. It fits 1996-97 Thunderbird and Cougar, as well as some Lincoln MK8 models. New or used, I just need to get this car back on the road. If anyone knows of an older model cable that will work with modifications, that's fine as well.
gov2mod

Re: 1996 Thunderbird shifter cable

Post by gov2mod »

If anyone knows of another cable that will work, even if I have to modify or fabricate the hold down brackets please let me know.
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

let me see what i can find. i should have it since i pulled that useless automatic out of my car.
http://www.per-race-engines.com
1996 Thunderbird LX
Mods
Stock is boring and useless!
gov2mod

Post by gov2mod »

Ok, great.