Need help with rag joint / steering coupler

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1970-79 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Dgwestfall

Need help with rag joint / steering coupler

Post by Dgwestfall »

I’m trying to to replace my rag joint on my 79 Thunderbird and I cannot get the replacement to slide down over the shaft on the steering box for anything. It appears to be 36 spline and the same size as the original. I know there is a flat spot on the shaft, and on the original it appears there is a section of spline that’s not as deep that allows it to slide down. I know it’s supposed to only go one way so the wheel lines up. I’ve been at this for two days (had to remove the sector shaft to drive out the pins to accept the replacement) and I need help.

I have a Lares 202 and a 203 (they both look identical to me so who knows) and neither will fit.

Thanks.
insanedeity

Re: Need help with rag joint / steering coupler

Post by insanedeity »

Following along, as the rag joint on my '79 has also failed and debating whether to tackle it, or take it in. TIA!
1979 Town Landau!
Dgwestfall

Re: Need help with rag joint / steering coupler

Post by Dgwestfall »

I FINALLY fixed this issue. Long story short, I tried a Lares 202 and 203 (which look the same to me) and neither would fit over the input shaft on the steering box. Turns out my car must have a Saginaw box with the 13/16 36 spline input shaft instead of the 3/4 36 spline that all the parts stores list for the car.

To replace the rag joint, you have to remove the bolts that hold it to the intermediate shaft from the column and then remove the pinch bolt from the rag joint. Then from under the dash, remove the firewall boot, and remove the nut from the pin/bolt and slide the bolt (it won’t come out) and remove the intermediate shaft from the car.

The way the replacement joint bolts to the shaft is different than the factory, and depending on how you decide to mount it you may have to cut the bracket from the intermediate shaft and remove the pressed in pins, for this is where the new bolts go through the shaft.

Re-install the intermediate shaft, then slide the new rag joint over the input shaft (it will only go on one way) and tighten the pinch bolt (it may be easier to install the rag joint on the input shaft first as the intermediate shaft tends to get in the way). Then bolt the intermediate shaft to the rag joint, and make sure to tighten the intermediate shaft slide pin/bolt.

The 201 slid over the shaft fairly easily. I spent several days on this but once I got the right joint the repair took about an hour and a half.

Hope this helps!