'79 Won't Start

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1970-79 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Spanky

'79 Won't Start

Post by Spanky »

This has been a real head scratcher for over a year for me. My 78 TB with a 400ci has a habit of not starting without any warning. Hot or cold starts doesn't really matter. I have replaced about everything and have had others check but clearly I'm missing something in the starting sequence. Once the engine starts it runs fine and with power. Anyone have an idea or point to person who might have an idea would be appreciated.
BirdShepherd

Re: '79 Won't Start

Post by BirdShepherd »

Cars need fuel and spark to start. So, when you attempt to start your Bird, does it feel or sound like it is not getting spark or not getting fuel?
Shepherding 77-79 T-Birds, Shepherding People
Spanky

Post by Spanky »

I understand, that's what's puzzling. I have an in-line spark meter showing blips going by during cranking. I have also checked fuel down the throat of the carb (not while cranking). No sputter.

I am looking at the ignition coil connector as a possible culprit, have you any experience with that?
mlewisariz

Post by mlewisariz »

My first impulse would be something in the Duraspark ignition module. Even new parts can be defective.
mlewisariz

Post by mlewisariz »

My first impulse would be something in the Duraspark ignition module. Even new parts can be defective.
BirdShepherd

Post by BirdShepherd »

So, if you can visually see adequate fuel squirting in all both sides of the carburetor while cranking (fuel filter is clean, in other words) and yet it won't start, then failure to have adequate spark can be either due to faulty ignition coil (this happened to my 1971 Mach 1 429 SCJ; car would start then die due to lack of adequate spark) or the ignition module (computer) on the driver side fender apron. I've driven my 79 Bird for over 20 years and the ignition modules have all died in various ways--some slow with fits and starts and others immediately. No consistency.
Shepherding 77-79 T-Birds, Shepherding People
bulletbirdman

Post by bulletbirdman »

My 77 would die and not start after replacing everything from the ignition module, distributor, and ignition switch finally found the coil connections had gotten loose over 40 years or so haven't had a problem since.
Red 63 T-Bird
White 62 T-Bird
78 HD LoRider
Blue 78 Cougar
Red & White 77 T-bird
Spanky

Post by Spanky »

Yes, that's where I am now, with the coil connector maybe dropping down due to engine vibration since it snaps in place on the low side of the coil. I would like to find a NOS part but may have to do a work around for a new connector set up. I also changed out the coil/distributor wire again. I appreciate everyone's input, you can't have too many ideas here.
michelle

Post by michelle »

Hi.....I also think it might be the ignition module...mine went bad and bought a new one which was defective....took me years to figure out I had a bad part....I would start there.
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

I worked on a '79 lincoln with DuraSpark a few years ago for the same problem. After some testing I found the condenser (external) was bad, and shorting out the system. I unplugged it and the car started and ran great. Just a thought, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop