dies

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1970-79 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
bulletbirdman

dies

Post by bulletbirdman »

Hey my 77 bird 400ci just dies and has to sit awhile before before she starts, new fuel pump and hoses fuel system good, new distributor and control module i'm pulling out my hair over this any ideas?
Red 63 T-Bird
White 62 T-Bird
78 HD LoRider
Blue 78 Cougar
Red & White 77 T-bird
BirdShepherd

Re: dies

Post by BirdShepherd »

Your description sounds like a bad ground somewhere. The motor needs to be grounded to the body with clean connections. See the ground strap on the passenger side, back of the motor, almost hidden. Remove both connections and clean.
Also, the battery must be grounded to the motor (with clean connections) and should be grounded to the radiator/core support as well. The 400 motor runs hot as it is; so a weak ground connection will exacerbate the heating problem.

Let us know how it goes.
Shepherding 77-79 T-Birds, Shepherding People
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

By "control module" I guess you mean electronic ign. module?
They were known for that issue. So bad a judge in Ca. ordered a recall.

Otherwise I'm wondering if your getting vapor lock. If so, a pusher pump in the back will help if it doesn't already have one.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
bulletbirdman

Post by bulletbirdman »

Cured, the coil connectors, tightened up the slip on terminals and hasn't happened again.
Red 63 T-Bird
White 62 T-Bird
78 HD LoRider
Blue 78 Cougar
Red & White 77 T-bird