Cruise control help needed

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1970-79 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
351heritage

Cruise control help needed

Post by 351heritage »

I have a 79 heritage edition with cruise control. I cant seem to make the cruise work like it should. The buttons all work like they are supposed to. It catches immediately when you press the button, but it just keeps accelerating without end. I have fixed all the vaccum leaks that I can find, and I have tried leaving the chain loose and tightening it up, still the same. Any ideas anyone? I don't know anything about these older cruise systems, and I want to take some long trips in this car!
BirdShepherd

Re: Cruise control help needed

Post by BirdShepherd »

If you have secured all of your vacuum lines convincingly, then the problem probably lies in the cruise unit itself (to which the chain is attached). May need to remove, disassemble, examine carefully, and observe any flaws or suspicious signs. Perhaps someone on you tube has provided some assistance for the problem.
Shepherding 77-79 T-Birds, Shepherding People
351heritage

Post by 351heritage »

Yeah, maybe I should try to take it apart and see what I can find. I am a parts counter person, and I know for a fact that the unit is unavailable.
BirdShepherd

Post by BirdShepherd »

Have you tried Green Sales 1-513-731-3304 or 1-800-543-4959?
Shepherding 77-79 T-Birds, Shepherding People
daytontbird

Post by daytontbird »

I have a 78 Diamond Jubilee with the 400 engine. My cruise control does the same thing. I purchased this car at the Springfield swap meet in May and when I drove it home, I set the cruise to 65 mph. A few miles down the road, I noticed that it had accelerated up to 70 mph. I thought I might have accidentally set it at 70, so I tapped the brake and reset it. Again, it did the same thing. After 4 or 5 attempts at setting it to my desired speed, I figured something must be wrong with it, so I just kept resetting it all the way home. If you found a cure for yours, please let us know what we need to do to correct this problem. It is obviously not an isolated issue but one that seems to affect many other vehicles with the same type of cruise control system. Hope to hear from you about this issue by the time cruise season resumes this spring so I might be able to correct it on my Bird.
tbirdman77

Post by tbirdman77 »

There is a module on the speedo cable behind the dashboard that signals speed to the control module. Sounds like it may be the culprit as it is a mechanical gizmo and easily swapped out.