77-79 Removal/Replace Front Shocks?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1970-79 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
7879Tbird

77-79 Removal/Replace Front Shocks?

Post by 7879Tbird »

Attempting to change the front shocks on my 77. The rear shocks and coil springs are no problem, but the front shock is INSIDE the front coil spring.

How do I remove the front shock? When attempting to loosen the nut on top, there is no way to grab the shock to prevent it from twisting...ergo, the nut and top half of the shock just spins.

I tried a spring compressor set but because the top 40% of the coil spring is in a control arm, so I can't get the set to properly attach.

There has got to be something I'm overlooking. It appears that once I get the top nut off and the two bolts on the bottom, the old shock should just pull out through the bottom.

Can anyone offer a step-by-step process?

Thanks
55Greg&Amy

Re: 77-79 Removal/Replace Front Shocks?

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

Usually there is a flat spot on the top of the shock that you can either put an open end wrench or vice grips onto while you loosen the nut with another open or box ended wrench. If there is no unthreaded portion sticking up to grab then you can grind a groove into it and hold it with a screwdriver.
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
7879Tbird

Re: 77-79 Removal/Replace Front Shocks?

Post by 7879Tbird »

Worked like a charm! Thanks!
55Greg&Amy wrote:Usually there is a flat spot on the top of the shock that you can either put an open end wrench or vice grips onto while you loosen the nut with another open or box ended wrench. If there is no unthreaded portion sticking up to grab then you can grind a groove into it and hold it with a screwdriver.