1965 t bird there is no spare ??? front and rear rims ???

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

andy2175m4

1965 t bird there is no spare ??? front and rear rims ???

Post by andy2175m4 »

The 65 has disc brakes in front, drums in rear, and I bought this car 2 weeks ago, no spare in the trunk.

I took 3 different ford tire/wheels from my collection, none fit on the front because of the huge brake caliper. the rear wheels are marked "do not use on front" If they are "normal" rims they won't fit either because the calipers are so huge.

so did this car ever come with a spare ? I see no evidence of spare or jack in the trunk. I guess I will have to scrounge for a genuine 65 front wheel for a spare,

will the front rims fit on the back ? I just hope they do but I got lazy and did not try.
60fore

Post by 60fore »

All cars were factory equipped with a spare. If a hardtop, It mounts on the trunk shelf just behind the back of the rear seat. It will work in front and rear positions (it would pretty much have to, wouldn't it?). :mrgreen:
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
redbird1

Post by redbird1 »

If you don't want to worry about which rims to use on the front, get a pair of back spacers and once installed the rim won't rub against the calipers.
I have 1" spacers on mine, and they solve the problem about which rim to use.
Bob.,
tbird

Post by tbird »

All five of the original rims fit is any position on the car the rims you have on the rear are not correct only 1965 to 67 Thunderbird rims will fit correctly.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
fast Ed

Post by fast Ed »

The 66 I bought last year came on aftermarket wheels, and no spare. I wanted to get something for a spare since I do take the car on some longer drives, and wasn't really concerned about having an original style wheel since the car is modded a bit.

If you are also not concerned with originality, I found this Ranger truck steel wheel that clears the front brakes if used with a spacer that is roughly 1/4" thick (my car had spacers on the front already for the aftermarket wheels).

There is also a black version that was used as a spare on the Rangers, that's what I grabbed. It is a 15x7". Rangers also used a 15x6", but it is a different style centre with less caliper clearance. Ford part number for reference is 1L5Z 1015 EA for the argent silver version, or 1L5Z 1015 DA for the black one. They were used on base model Rangers from the early 2000s until the end of production in 2011, so you could likely find a good used one from a recycling yard.

cheers
Ed
88 Turbo Coupe manual
07 Mustang GT hardtop
previous Birds:
66 Town Hardtop
95 Super Coupe manual