New Member, Steering Worm Question

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

glider90

New Member, Steering Worm Question

Post by glider90 »

Hello,
I am a new member here. Brief background, my father is the original owner of Thunderbird Bronze 57, with the 312, standard shift and overdrive.

The car was parked in the game room of my parents? house in 1968 with 52,000 original miles. (He knocked down the wall and installed sliding glass doors to get the car and provide nice climate controlled home.) Anyway, the car has been there ever since, and my brother and I are trying to get it ready for him to ride in by his 75th birthday. We have plenty of experience with vintage mustang restorations, but none with the old birds.

One of the problems the car had when he parked it was a bad worm gear. This is apparently the second worm gear he has had in the car, as he gave me the one he originally pulled to match up a new one. Basically there is a groove worn in the middle of the worm gear where it rides on the sector when the wheels are straight. He said this groove produces a 'bump' in the steering feedback when you pass through center when turning the steering wheel.

We want to replace the worm gear, but I have a few questions.

1) Is it advisable to replace only the worm gear and not the worm and sector gear as a pair?
2) Tee-Bird products sell just the worm gear which can be pressed onto the existing shaft, is this the way to go? (the worm is $100)
3) Is this a common problem with the 55-7 Thunderbirds? Seems strange to be putting in a third worm in 50,000 miles.
4) What are some of the better companies for price and selection to buy parts for the small birds?

I appreciate any experience you all can share.
~Jim
Columbus Ohio
Vabeach55Bird

worm and sector

Post by Vabeach55Bird »

You may get a response at:

www.y-blocksforever.com

Lots of expertise on these old Fords there.

Paul
glider90

Post by glider90 »

Thanks Paul, I'll give it a shot over there!
~Jim
Alan H. Tast

Steering Gear

Post by Alan H. Tast »

1) Is it advisable to replace only the worm gear and not the worm and sector gear as a pair?
YES! There's a reason it wore in the first place, and it most likely is the combination of both going bad.

2) Tee-Bird products sell just the worm gear which can be pressed onto the existing shaft, is this the way to go? (the worm is $100)
Finding a replacement shaft and gear could be difficult, and this certainly would be a good alternative.

3) Is this a common problem with the 55-7 Thunderbirds? Seems strange to be putting in a third worm in 50,000 miles.
It is common to replace the worm gear and sector on cars driven quite a bit. That it would fail after 50,000 miles indicates either lack of gear lube, lack of periodic adjustment or abnormal driving habits.

4) What are some of the better companies for price and selection to buy parts for the small birds?
There are a limited number of vendors for '55-7s. Most all are competitive in pricing and good with service. Your best bet is to obtain catalogs from as many as you can, compare pricing and develop relationships with the ones you are most comfortable with. Major vendors who help support VTCI and this website include Larry's, Concours Parts & Accessories, Thunderbird Headquarters. Also try CASCO, National Parts Depot, Tee-Bird Products.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
glider90

Post by glider90 »

Thank you very much Alan. I will contact the vendors that help support VTCI and try to find both the worm and the sector.
~Thanks again,
~~Jim