Power seat elevator repair '62

This area is open to"How-To" section only for tutorials on fixes, etc. (no profanities/etc.). NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Blue Ridge T

Power seat elevator repair '62

Post by Blue Ridge T »

While I had the seat in a vulnerable position, I thought I'd attempt a repair on the mechanism that raises and lowers the seat. There is only one jack screw turned by the motor and it powers both the up/down and the fore/aft moves. It does this by energizing a solenoid powered "nut", one for each operation. That is why there are eight contact points in the switch. When you push the switch into a position to do something, you manipulate two contacts, one for the motor power and the other to power the solenoid. The solenoid causes it's "box" to engage the jack screw. There are two solenoid boxes, one to catch the jack screw for the up/down and one to catch the jack screw for the fore/aft. The motor reverses one way or the other. Let's take a look at the seat support unit.

And now let's look at the solenoid nut boxes:

The one on the right is for the up/down function. I've already taken out the guts and the box is empty. There is a wire clamp that surrounds three sides of the box that's very easy to pry out to remove the cover box. Here's the guts:

Look closely at the picture of the empty solenoid box. Down in that hole, on the right side is a smaller hole, perpendicular to the larger hole. That's where that little bitty spring goes. No, not that one, the short one. There were two balls in that hole, the shiny one was in the bottom with the dark one on top. Besides the coil and the little nut, that only leaves one large "plunger (or iron core), a little "C" shaped piece of metal and another, longer, spring. Here's the plunger assembled for placement:

These pieces are just stuck together and have to be placed in the hole with some care or they'll fall apart. There is a little round recess in the floor of the box that receives the end of the spring.

Now here is a picture of the coil and balls in place, ready for the plunger assembly. The coil just slides in from the side. You can see about half the little recess hole for the longer spring, to the left of the ball. If nothing else, it prevents you from putting in anything backwards. The short wire coming out of the coil connects to that little threaded rod right below it with the nut in the picture above.

Put the cover back on and it should look like this:

The only thing I could find wrong was the presence of dirt, old hard grease. It came apart very easily until I got to the little balls. I'd never seen anything like this and wasn't sure what I was looking at. I started scratching at the "round topped thing and finally got it to turn slightly. This only after soaking it with WD40 for a while. After I got the first ball out, I still wasn't sure if the next thing was another ball or some dome shaped thing. I played with it until again, I got it to turn. I finally got it out too, after soaking it in WD40 and turning the whole unit upside down and striking the seat rail with a hammer. It decided to fall out. Under that ball and another...something, that after more of the same, I got to start turning. I realized this was the device that grabbed the jack screw. There is a hole in this revolving "nut" that the ball is pushed into that causes it to engage the jack screw. Again, after soaking in WD40, I got it to turn pretty freely. I allowed this to sit overnight and the next day reassembled everything. On the walls of the plunger assembly, I applied a thin layer of white lithium grease. I also soaked every pivot point in the entire seat assembly with liberal amounts of white lithium grease. After this I hooked up my test battery and hit the switch. Wheeeeeee!!!
Last edited by Blue Ridge T on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'62 Hardtop
thegiftedwood.com
ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

Good work! I will leave your two threads here for a bit and then move them to the Tech section. This is the first time I have seen anything demonstrated with the power seats.
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
1962 Corinthian White Hardtop, Medium Chestnut Metallic #89 Leather, A/C, P/W
2003 Premium Torch Red/Performance White HT, Partial Accent Interior, 1 of 47.
Past T-Bird: 1960 Convertible, 1974-1978