Tri power oil breather cap

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

minkbigbird

Post by minkbigbird »

G'Day all. I am looking for some direction in obtaining the correct oil breather cap for my 63 tri power with chrome dress up kit,after checking the OFS. and buying two from different major T-Bird suppliers I'm not sure I have the correct one. The edge radius looks to large and possible smaller in Diameter they both have the flat top that fits the decal but looks smaller overall. I was hoping some one may have a source and or sizes. Brian.
Jim Wulf

Re: Tri power oil breather cap

Post by Jim Wulf »

G'Day all. I am looking for some direction in obtaining the correct oil breather cap for my 63 tri power with chrome dress up kit,after checking the OFS. and buying two from different major T-Bird suppliers I'm not sure I have the correct one. The edge radius looks to large and possible smaller in Diameter they both have the flat top that fits the decal but looks smaller overall. I was hoping some one may have a source and or sizes. Brian.
Here's the NOS cap that's on my Roadster, Brian:

Here's the repro that used to be on my car:
Some of the reproduction caps, like this one, have a radius that's too sharp. Alan spotted it right away at Chicago during Authenticity judging.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
minkbigbird

Post by minkbigbird »

Thanks for that Jim, This is going the way of the story of the Three Bears.My two have a larger corner radius by just looking at the photo's now we have three types but now I know what is correct we are on the right track.I have seen NOS painted on e-Bay may have to look at having one chrome plated? Brian.
Jim Wulf

Re: Tri power oil breather cap

Post by Jim Wulf »

Thanks for that Jim, This is going the way of the story of the Three Bears.My two have a larger corner radius by just looking at the photo's now we have three types but now I know what is correct we are on the right track.I have seen NOS painted on e-Bay may have to look at having one chrome plated? Brian.
Yes, I've seen the larger radius repro also. And I've also recently seen a painted repro recently that seems to have the correct radius. Haven't noticed one in chrome, so having a painted one chromed may be the best option. NOS caps have stopped showing up on Ebay it seems.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige