Convertible deck lid lock tool

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Mr-Mach1

Convertible deck lid lock tool

Post by Mr-Mach1 »

Does anyone know where I can get one of these tools the manual shows is used to adjust the deck lid locks ? I've been looking for a while now and have never seen one. Any good pics or info/specs on how to build one ?

Thanks
Leon
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

I've never seen the physical tool, but if one had the dimensions it would be easy to duplicate using the excellent pictures in the shop manual. That being said, it's really only a gauge used to adjust the position of the deck lock switch or the switch actuator. It doesn't actually "adjust" either item. You still have to either use a screw/nut driver to accomplish the actual adjustment of the switch or pliers or similar tool to bend the actuator.

You can accomplish the same thing by:

1. Positioning the receivers with the large phillips head screw just above the top of the round receiver mounting bracket and then,

2. Positioning the switch so that the top edge of the switch bracket is even with the top edge of the painted body mounting bracket.

That gives you a relatively good starting point. Then it's just a matter of fine tuning the switch mounting position up or down, usually only =/- an eighth or so either way.

It's highly unlikely that the actuator would be bent enough to warrant adjusting it.

Ford probably provided the tool to save time in anticipation of adjusting a large number of switch mechanisms.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Ok, here's some more information on the Top Tool Ford part # T61B-15780-A. Our own Snowbird Joe Johnston has sent me photos of an actual tool complete with dimensions for fabricating it if you're so inclined. Joe tells me that it would be easy to do if you made the tool with one hand while holding a Manhattan in the other ;-)
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

Thanks for posting JW. You are well organized and I knew you could find the info quicker than I could. I think wooden step blocks would function fine as well.

(Disclaimer: Safety first! - only 1 Manhattan before work but its OK to have another after the job is done!)
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
Mr-Mach1

Post by Mr-Mach1 »

Joe Johnston wrote:Thanks for posting JW. You are well organized and I knew you could find the info quicker than I could. I think wooden step blocks would function fine as well.

(Disclaimer: Safety first! - only 1 Manhattan before work but its OK to have another after the job is done!)
Wooden dowels. That's a great idea. Too bad I don't have a lathe.
Owl2023

Re: Convertible deck lid lock tool

Post by Owl2023 »

Where can I get a 1966 receiver for my conv deck lock do screws