Spring Saddle Bushing-Why does it have to be so weird?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

ABQTBird

Spring Saddle Bushing-Why does it have to be so weird?

Post by ABQTBird »

I have finished my rear end suspension work and have moved to the front. Since I already removed my coil spring some time ago to see if it could be done safely for Dazza, I decided to take things apart up there to see what shape they were in. I removed the spring saddle bushings, or tore them up I should say, since I was going to buy new ones anyway. When I pulled them out, it seemed to me that the bolts were reusable. I soaked the bolts and zerks in xylene and cleaned the old grease out of them. It occured to me that I should be able to run to Ace and find new bushings and save $50 for new ones. Not so. Why did Ford use such weird dimensions? I searched the depths of the Internet but came up with nothing. Isn't that why SAE was created? So, I guess I'll just have to get the new kit. Take a look.

ID=1/2" fair enough.

OD=0.7"

Shoulder diameter ~ 0.8"

Length=0.55"

Also something that worries me is this only thread I found on the topic: http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/p ... ing+saddle

Can someone else comment on the fit of the replacements?
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
1962 Corinthian White Hardtop, Medium Chestnut Metallic #89 Leather, A/C, P/W
2003 Premium Torch Red/Performance White HT, Partial Accent Interior, 1 of 47.
Past T-Bird: 1960 Convertible, 1974-1978
Nick Pepe

bushings

Post by Nick Pepe »

Hey, Ive installed quite a few of these and they are exactly the same as the originals so I had no problems at all with them. They did the job and there was no play. Usually the old bolt will have wear groves in them from the bushings and if yours don't that is pretty rare. but if your going to purchase them new it comes as a kit with new bolts and bushings. Before they were available new I used to reuse the old ones but I had many parts cars to find good ones so I had an advantage. If you have the arm apart definitely replace them with new, I wouldn't reuse the old pieces. I think Bird Nest is the manufacturer if my memory serves me right. Good luck, Nick
1966 Thunderbird
1960 Dodge Phoenix
1970 Dodge Challenger
1972 Thunderbird
1972 Mustang Mach 1
ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

Nick,
Thanks for your reply and reassurance about the fit. Just about all the bird suppliers have them at the same price so I assume they are from the same source. You are right about the grooves. I just gave them a light polish with some #600 emory cloth and they were clearly visible. I assume the new bolts will fit in my existing saddle brackets. I see the suppliers have replacements for those also.
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
tbird

Post by tbird »

Tom
The bushing kits have been around for a number of years now as Nick stated the brackets are much newer they have only been out for a couple of years I believe. It seems to me that if your brackets are not badly rusted or bent that they should be OK they should not be worn if I remember correctly without looking at the parts drawing the bushings protect them from wear.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

that if your brackets are not badly rusted or bent that they should be OK
Yes, they are in great shape. Just mostly New Mexico mud and some surface rust. A quick sandblast and a coat of semigloss chassis paint and they'll be good as new. I've got my new bushings. as well as some other front-end parts on order from Larry's. They had the lowest shipping prices for what I am sure are the same exact parts the other vendors have.
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
tbird

Post by tbird »

The parts from Larry's will be the same as anyone else has there is just one manufacture.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

I was outside cleaning and painting my suspension parts at 6:00PM when a FedEx truck rolled up to the house. The parts I ordered from Larry's on Wednesday for $10.96 shipping came on a Saturday! So I took some pictures of the new saddle bushings. Everything fits great.

The grease opening is not exactly centered for some reason.
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator