Limited Edition Landau

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Greg McDonnell

Limited Edition Landau

Post by Greg McDonnell »

Hello All,

I recently acquired a Limited Edition Landau and would like to know if
there is a registry or chapter within this group that tracks this rare
T-bird? Mine is #82 and I plan to return it to showroom condition. I have
owned it for about a month now and have already redone the suspension,
as well as much mechanical work. I am about to completely rebuild the
front end, and my new leather seat covers (Christmas present to myself)
have been shipped from Thunderbird Headquaters. I look forward to
hearing from other Monaco owners!

Greg McDonnell
Mobile, AL
Alan H. Tast

'63 Monaco

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Greg:

Both William Wonder, VTCI's '61-'63 Tech Editor, and myself maintain a listing of Monaco Landaus, living and dead, as Ford didn't keep any records. Feel free to forward VIN/Serial Number, data plate info, options on the car and any known history to tast@earthlink.net . We're also listed in the Scoop for registry information. If you've got pictures, send them as well. And, don't forget to complete your VTCI Owners Survey and send it in for possible use in 'Thunderderbird Scoop' magazine.

One of the challenges you'll probably face is the restoration of the top. While literature called its color Rose Beige, it's really more of a dark reddish brown color. If some of the original material remains under the trim moldings, you may be able to find a swatch of it that hasn't been exposed to the sun. People often mistake the faded-out color to be the original one - this color faded VERY badly over time.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Greg McDonnell

Limited Edition Landau

Post by Greg McDonnell »

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the prompt reply! I will follow your advice and get the info and some digital pictures to the folks you mentioned. How many are estimated to remain out of the 2000 made. Mine has factory air but manual passenger's seat and door locks. Also it only has an AM radio so I will be looking earnestly (like many I am sure) for an AM/FM unit from '63. I understand they are pretty scarce. The top has been redone and it was done correctly. It is exactly the color you described! The headliner has also been redone impecably. The carpet has been replaced with the correct material, the door panels and window motors have been replaced too. The trunk liner is also new. I have paint, rechroming (bumpers and pot metal) and detailing the engine compartment. I appreciate your interest in my 'new car' and I look forward to learning more about it.

Greg McDonnell
Wklink

Post by Wklink »

Alan I will have to get the info on my old POM Bird that gave up the ghost about three years ago and e-mail it to you when I get home from work. I wanted to restore her so much but when I started shoving a screwdriver up various parts of the unibody I knew she was beyond help. The wife wouldn't let me transport the carcass from Illinois to Washington (US Army, stationed at Ft. Lewis) to convert another landau so I sold her.

I am sure she was parted out, she was pretty bad.
Thomas Cofield
1962 Hardtop, 'Thumper' Red/Black
1962 Hardtop, 'The Survivor' White/Red
VTCI-PNW
RSSVTCI