'61 V's '62 leaf spring pads

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Ozzy351

'61 V's '62 leaf spring pads

Post by Ozzy351 »

Have done a search but couldn't come up with anything on this subject. Does anyone know if '62 leaf spring center rubber pads can be used on a '61 rear end and if so, what mods need to be done. I have seen a set of '62 pads and they look a lot better and more robust than the the much smaller, thinner '61 pads.

I bought a set of '61 pads (probably made in China :sad:) from one of the suppliers and they lasted about a year before they perished, cracked and collapsed.

Ozzy :smile:
"The sour memory of a dud purchase is remembered long after the sweet taste of a cheap deal has disappeared"
1961 T-bird H/T Silver-Gray Metallic/Raven Black roof.
1971 Ford Falcon 351 XYGT-Nugget Gold.
VTCI #11702
Adelaide, South Australia.

ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

You caught me just in time. I am installing new leafs and pads on my 62. I bought my springs from JRSprings. They were cheap and so I am questioning their quality. They have five leaves instead of four, but the overall thickness is the same as the originals. Here are some pictures for you to compare to your 61. Unfortunately, I didn't document this very well, but the replacement pads seem thicker and shorter than the originals, unless the originals were terribly squashed.

Pads and brackets:

Installed pads. I redid the zinc plating on the U-bolts:

Pad thickness detail:
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
1962 Corinthian White Hardtop, Medium Chestnut Metallic #89 Leather, A/C, P/W
2003 Premium Torch Red/Performance White HT, Partial Accent Interior, 1 of 47.
Past T-Bird: 1960 Convertible, 1974-1978

Ozzy351

Post by Ozzy351 »

Thanks for the photos Tom, that's a whole different set up to the '61. My set up just has one thin retaining plate that sits on the top pad that the diff rests on and no retaining plate underneath except for the bottom plate that the shock bolts to and the pad just sits on that. The '62 set up looks a whole lot better and more heavy duty.

The only thing that concerns me is the diameter of the locating tube that appears to be welded to the retaing plate in your last photo. It looks a lot larger than the one on my '61 and I am assuming the top plate is the same which means the holes in the diff mounting plate and the bottom plate were made larger by Ford on the '62 model.

Your U bolts also look longer and don't have a flange at the top of the thread to prevent over tightening, are they the originals?

"The sour memory of a dud purchase is remembered long after the sweet taste of a cheap deal has disappeared"
VTCI #11702

ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

Your U bolts also look longer and don't have a flange at the top of the thread to prevent over tightening, are they the originals?
It really looks like Ford simplified things and made them more robust. Take a look at the diagram. The U-bolts were changed and the flange removed for 62. Also notice part number 5A537 and see what happened to them on mine. Another thing, parts 5983 and 5985 were missing from mine. It seems unlikely a PO would have done anything to the springs, but one never knows. I measured the OD of the locating tube, which is part of the stamping and not welded, as 1.5" (38mm).

5A537

Notice the four front bushings on the 61 were replaced with two large ones on the 62. Many differences.
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator

Ozzy351

Post by Ozzy351 »

Wow, Ford sure changed a lot of things inside a year :shock:

Thanks for all the great pics Tom. It looks like I will be staying with my original setup as parts cars are vitually non existant here in the 'Colonies' and I don't think the metal pad retainers or the lower plate/shock mount can be bought from any of the 'Bird houses. I will just have to order a new set of rubber pads and hope they are better quality than the previous ones I bought.

VTCI #11702

ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

I will be staying with my original setup as parts cars are vitually non existant here in the 'Colonies'
Parts cars are virtually non-existant here in the southwest US also. Two reasons: low population and many of the cars here were parted out long ago due to the high quality rust free parts available. There are no 61-63 parts cars here at all in New Mexico.
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator

minkbigbird

61 v's '62 leaf spring pads

Post by minkbigbird »

I don't know if it's because I live on the other side of the world or I have spent to much time in the sun, but it appears the springs shown in the parts drawing are upside down? or should I say inverted the wrong way?

ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

I don't know if it's because I live on the other side of the world
Don't you know that springs are upside down in the southern hemisphere, just like the Moon? :badgrin:

Yes, the drawing does show them with inverted curvature. I guess you could call it "Ford Artistic License"? :roll:

This is the "Where's Waldo" part of the diagram. Notice that 5736 (62 diagram) shows the flange end facing the same direction top and bottom. They will not fit together that way. The flanged ends face opposite each other.
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator

tbird

Post by tbird »

Ozzy
The lack of the metal plates containing the rubber pads on the 6i is likely part of the reason for your pads getting pounded out so quickly without the metal cupping them plus the fact of poor reproduction rubber.
Never noticed that the drawing showed the plates male to male before on the 62. I likely have some of the plates laying around from a 62 or later cars that may be the same but then you would likely need to install new U-bolts and the plate would lower the rear a bit, shipping would likely be costly to you from here as it is more costly in Canada.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars

Ozzy351

Post by Ozzy351 »

Tom, in the drawing of the '62 suspension, there is a plate (5A313) that sits between the diff mount and the pad plate that looks to be wedge shaped. Do you know if this is the case or is it just a flat steel spacer plate? Usually wedges are used to achieve correct diff pinion to tail shaft angles which I think is about 5 to 7 deg. down.

VTCI #11702

Ozzy351

Post by Ozzy351 »

Jim, PM sent.

VTCI #11702

ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

Tom, in the drawing of the '62 suspension, there is a plate (5A313) that sits between the diff mount and the pad plate that looks to be wedge shaped.
There was no piece like that on either side. I presume the angle must be set correctly by the welded plate/guide on the axle housing.

Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator

tbird

Post by tbird »

Ozzy
The wedge shaped spacers are use to correct the driveshaft to pinion angle as the rear axle housing could be used on a number of different models with different wheel bases and such including trucks, are they not #5736 on the 61 parts breakdown?
I don't think they used them on the 64 to 66 Thunderbird.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars

Ozzy351

Post by Ozzy351 »

Tbird,

#5736 on the '61 parts breakdown are just metal plates that fit over the rubber pads. They are very thin and shallow and allow the pad to spread etc unlike the heavy duty retainers on the '62 which contain the pads completely.

Out of curiosity, I had a look at a '64 shop manual and it also shows a wedge under the diff mount. The pad retainers also look the same as the '62 but the spring plate that the shock mounts to on our cars is just a flat, square plate as the shock mount has been moved to the diff mount (which is called the 'spring pad' in the manual.)

VTCI #11702

minkbigbird

61 v's '62 leaf spring pads

Post by minkbigbird »

Ozzy, Did't your dad ever tell you never believe any thing you hear and only half of what you see, may be it's Waldo again if they got the springs up the wrong way and the pads 5736 back to front just maybe the wedge plates could be the same thing?There are none on my 63.