convertible top problems

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

segi1962tbird

convertible top problems

Post by segi1962tbird »

well, to start off, my top wouldnt come up one day.....i was able to raise it by bypassing the relays, as the manual says...after i brought it up i was able to bring it back down by by using the switch....when i tried to bring it back up using the top switch it wouldnt work unless i brought the top up by by passing the relays, until the only thing left up was the deck lid.... then that would close with the switch...after the top was up, i tried to retract it again, but it would only do the deck lid unlock and then stop there.. just wonering if anybody else had something like this happen to them and what they did to fix it....and if not does anybody know any good convertible top repair / tbird resto shops in the SF bay area? thanks
remogul

Post by remogul »

Check that your relays are working. If they are working, then check that your limit switches are working. I've had times when the limit switches will get stuck in one position.
tbirdgreg

Post by tbirdgreg »

I think you really have to make a decision as to how far you want to go into the top system to make it work the way you want it. Replacing a bad relay will fix it for today, maybe. The nature of the beast is the combination of the old dirty plugs the fit on the tops of the relays and rust in the relays and they will always cause potential problems. If you want to do it right and have a reliable system, convert it to the solid state system which will replace the plugs and the old relay system. The cost is about $600 but it is reliable and if your somewhat mechanical it is a one day job.
63 Thunderbird Roadster
64 Thunderbird (Tonnau Cover)
segi1962tbird

Post by segi1962tbird »

thanks for all the responses...i guess from what i have read a solid state system is the way to go..just one question, will it affect me in concours judging?or do the solid state relays look original? thanks
tbirdgreg

Post by tbirdgreg »

The upgrade for the top system is as I understand it NOT a subject for loss of points in Concourse Judgeing. It is considered a Safety Upgrade. I am pretty close to the line on keeping my Thunderbird as orginal as possible with a few exceptions and this is one exception because it works and is reliable. The other exception is a high voltage coil on the ignition. It makes a huge difference, but could be easly changed to the orginal musterd top coil.
63 Thunderbird Roadster
Alan H. Tast

Electronic Relay Conversion vs Concours Judging

Post by Alan H. Tast »

The upgrade for the top system is as I understand it NOT a subject for loss of points in Concourse Judgeing. It is considered a Safety Upgrade.
NOT NECESSARILY SO! In Primary Division , where the standard is as delivered from the factory, such a change would be subject to a modification point deduction, then it would be scored for quality of workmanship and cleanliness. In Touring Division, such a modification would be allowed without a modification point deduction. The same is true with the coil and installation of a Pertronix-type system. Obviously, Authenticity/Survivor Award criteria (which is a separate award that recognizes use of original components) would not allow for such modifications.

Keep in mind that if you do make changes like this and enter Primary Division competition, you can earn enough points to achieve a 1st-Primary (288 out of 300 is the threshold number) and be a contender for Best of Show. Also be aware that if you're gunning for Best of Show, Touring Division is not eligible because it is not a fully-judged Division (the undercarriage is not judged in Touring).

You need to get copies of VTCI's Concours Rules and 1961-1963 Orignal Factory Specifications Manual to know what to expect and what is (or isn't) allowed.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Jay

Solid State Kit

Post by Jay »

Could someone please post a source for this kit. I think I'm going to want to do this.

Thanks.
Jay Murray
Gilbert, Arizona

1962 Sports Roadster 2Y89Z151598
2013 Mustang Boss 302 (SBY)
1984 380SL
1989 Harley - heavily customized, several times...
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdatash ... mber=24861
tbirdgreg

Post by tbirdgreg »

Jay, try http://www.tbirdranch.com/convertrelay.html You have to make the decision on weather to keep it stock or make a useable reliable conversion. Top problems are common on these cars and this converson adds a lot or relibility to the top system.
63 Thunderbird Roadster