Wiper nut tool

This area is open to"How-To" section only for tutorials on fixes, etc. (no profanities/etc.). NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

RedBird64

Wiper nut tool

Post by RedBird64 »

We've probably all thought of making one but then just grabbed an inappropriate tool to tighten them down.
Today I was polishing up my wipers in preparation of re-instlaling them on the car when I came to those beat up nuts. I just can't see putting those nasty looking things back on so I ordered a set and decided to make an install tool (didn't want to pay $18 for a store bought tool). It only took 20 minutes and a scrap piece of 3/4" copper pipe.
I tried it on the old nuts and it fits over the wiper shaft and works perfectly.

I did the rough cut with a hack saw and finished it up with various files.
I should have done this years ago.

Now to find the right size pipe for the rear view mirror nut.

Cheers,
Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

Nicely done, Scott! I bet a similar device would also work on the front turn indicator lenses.

~Steve
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Thanks Steve. I figured out that if I smash the end in the vice just a bit, it fits the mirror control nut and still works for the wipers.
I figure a 1/2" pipe would work for the turn signals but hopefully I won't need one of those for a while.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Nick Pepe

wiper nut

Post by Nick Pepe »

Hey guys, years ago I used old worn out sockets. Took forever to file them but I still use them today. Never did think of using copper tubing. I do everything the hard way anyway so why stop now.

Nick
1966 Thunderbird
1960 Dodge Phoenix
1970 Dodge Challenger
1972 Thunderbird
1972 Mustang Mach 1