1955 rough idle problem

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

gregarsenault

1955 rough idle problem

Post by gregarsenault »

I have a 1955 with the 292 and 2 speed auto. The engine used to run as smooth as silk, but earlier this summer it developed a real ruff idle. It does smooth out off idle speed, but my mileage has dropped significantly. It also now seems to flood very easily after being running and shut off, and I smell gas like it is running too rich. After the problem started I put an electric fuel pump on to eliminate the hard start cold condition. I have also put on new wires, plugs, and an electronic point replacement kit.

I was thinking maybe the float is out of adjustment?I have tried to readjust the idle mixture (needle valve looks okay) and played with the timing a little but to no avail. Any ideas?

Thanks very much.
Alan H. Tast

Rough Running '55

Post by Alan H. Tast »

I think you're not addressing the source of the problem, the carburetor. Either you've got a bad power valve, accelerator pump, bad vacuum advance on the distributor, or an improperly-functioning choke. At the very least, I think going through the carburetor and overhauling it would be a good idea, if for nothing else than to replace dried-out or rotten gaskets and seals.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Paveway

Post by Paveway »

I agree with Alan. You may also have a vaccum leak somewhere. The carb float may also be out of adjustment. Garbage in the needle/seat of the carb float will cause a rich condition also.