installiing pertronix ignitor

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

jgj80

Re: installiing pertronix ignitor

Post by jgj80 »

I just installed the setup on my ‘64 yesterday. Petronix 1 and a flamethrower. No issues. Installed like the video/directions said to do it. Works great! Hope my luck continues.
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

sleeper bird said:
ill see if i can get a picture,the cars at my shop.i noticed there was a green wire with a red stripe on my 66 coming from the regulator.Ill confirm if its getting 12v tomorrow.
Should be 12 volts with the key on, zero when off or at "ACC".
Terry
64HT
Tbirdgul

Post by Tbirdgul »

jgj80 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:33 pm I just installed the setup on my ‘64 yesterday. Petronix 1 and a flamethrower. No issues. Installed like the video/directions said to do it. Works great! Hope my luck continues.
Jgj, did you set timing after? I noticed my idle went up quite a bit. Not sure why. Thanks, Tony
Tony Gul - Southern California
VTCI# 13062
1964 Thunderbird hardtop black with white roof - current
1964 Thunderbird hardtop copper - 1986
64ZCODE

Post by 64ZCODE »

Hey there Tbirdgul. The idle went up because you're getting better combustion of the air/fuel mix than you did with the old points setup. So just lower the idle speed to where you want it using the idle adjust screw.

Also, if you haven't already, consider using MSD or equivalent spark plug wires, you'll get more power to the spark plugs than with stock wires. Also, Pertronix says you can open the spark plug gaps by an additional 0.005 - 0.006 since the hotter spark will jump the larger gap and you'll get even better combustion.

Just installing the pertronix ignition won't change the engine timing, but you could experiment to see if you can advance the static timing more than the stock 6 degrees BTDC. The static timing on my '64 is close to 15 degrees BTDC and the engine handles it quite well, no pinging under load.

Doug
1964 TBird Hardtop
1974 Porsche 914 2.0
GRNTHNDR

Post by GRNTHNDR »

Just did this installation,too. Found the resistor wire and by-passed as described earlier.Saved me BIG headaches. Thank you.