Early 67 courtesy jamb switch & flipaway steering wheel

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
poweroptions

Early 67 courtesy jamb switch & flipaway steering wheel

Post by poweroptions »

Hello a newbie here. I have a super nice 63K early production 67 Thunderbird. The drivers door jamb switch has no power to it. Should it?The steering wheel won't flip away and the interior lights will not come on when I open the drivers door. Interior lights work fine from the pass. side and from the master headlight switch. I have opened the relay mounted to the emergency brake assy., I can press the corelating contacts closed and lights will work and steering wheel will work. I note that the yellow/blk stripe wire has no power at the relay which I thought it would. I trace the ylw/blk stripe wire back to the flip wheel switch on the column and I have power there. I don't know if power goes to one of the black wire leads at the door jamb switch or the switch is merely to make ground. My FORD manual and my new wiring schematics I just ordered show a later version of 67's wiring with no guide for my car. I am really lost now. I have spent 16-18 hours on this and have gotten nowhere. I might add that the cigarette lighter also has no power and the fuses are all fine in the glove box as I have checked and rechecked them with my test light. I need help ! ANY GLAMOUR BIRD EXPERTS around that can give me pointers? THANKS
tbirdjohn

Post by tbirdjohn »

You might want to get a Tracer. Basically it is like a "Toner and Wand" that telco guys use to trace a bad circuit. You clamp the "tone generator" ahead of where your electrical problem is. Then you take the wand and go to the other end to see if it picks up the tone. If it doesn't, start working backwards until you find where it picks up the tone from the generator. This nice thing about these versus a Multimeter is that you don't have to actually touch the wiring to find the short. Simply holding the toner along the wiring allows it to pickup the tone. Again, if it doesn't pick it up, start working back to the location it does, and there is most likely the issue. It could be a broken wire itself, or a connecting point, etc.. They run around $100 or so but are well worth it with these cars!